Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant System

Hello,

I purchased a house with an in floor water pipe radiant heat system with a buderus boiler and controller. I am looking to gain a deeper understanding of how the system works. Two of the actuators look old and I am planning to replace. When I take the actuator off and see the pin sticking up from the manifold, how can I test to make sure that part is working? I press down with a screwdriver and it goes down. Should I hear the sound of water when I do this?

Also, when I went down to look at things today, two of the actuator heads were popped up. It was a cooler day in the 60s and rainy. The controller was set to 64 and the room temperature was 70. I'm not sure why the system was on. There is the one controller in the living room that sets the temperature and there are 4 thermostats throughout the house that open or close the zone based on their temperature. I went and turned all those down to 60 and went as low as the controller would go and the actuator heads went back down. Why was the system running?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Is there a relay box involved in the wiring between the room t-ststs and those actuators? If so start troubleshooting there. The actuators should only be open, when there is a call for heat. Or a shorted wire, bad relate, etc. You will need a test meter to run down the testing.

Those pins should push down and spring all the way back up easly. It could be the pin is not springing all the way back up, the closed position.

You can remove that pin assembly, usually the O-rings inside go bad and cause the sticking. It may be best to replace the entire manifold if the valve mechanisms are sticking, as sooner or later they all will stick or leak.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    danh12345
  • danh12345
    danh12345 Member Posts: 3
    How easily should it push down? All 4 take a good amount of pressure to push down. I have to use tip of screwdriver I can't use my hand.

They do all seem to go all the way back up.

Should I hear flow of water or anything when pin is pressed down?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Pressing down closes the port. There will be no flow unless the pump is running.

Your manifold looks like it has long term leaks.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    danh12345 said:

How easily should it push down? All 4 take a good amount of pressure to push down. I have to use tip of screwdriver I can't use my hand.

They do all seem to go all the way back up.

Should I hear flow of water or anything when pin is pressed down?

They should not push down easy .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    And if you hear a HISSssss as you close them manually, that indicates you have good flow, which is necessary, but maybe not at this time... Could be dead/die-ing/weak batteries (if you have them) in the thermostat. If room temperature is above the set point, they should not be calling for heat.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • danh12345
    danh12345 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. I have 2 new actuators on the way.
  • ivins1
    ivins1 Member Posts: 2
    How do I find a Roth radiant heating panel seller in Arizona. Want to purchase for a newly built cabin.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Contact Roth and ask them who carries their product in your area.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.