Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do outdoor reset controllers regulate boiler output temperature ?

Options
Maxl
Maxl Member Posts: 6
edited September 2017 in Thermostats and Controls
I can think of two ways that an outdoor reset controller could regulate the output temperature of a boiler: (1) if the boiler has variable heat, (2) by changing the speed of the pump. I am an absolute newbe in the subject, and I imagine fuel fired burners are on/off devices, so the only way I can think of regulating the boiler's output temperature would be to change the speed of the pump (the faster the water flow, the cooler the supply temp).

Does that make sense ?

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    well depends on the boiler. Most ci boilers in residential are fixed output. Until you get into the modulating condensing boilers which modulate output.

So with fixed output it's about turning the burner on, and off to maintain the desired supply temp. If 140 supply is desired then the controller shuts down the boiler at 140, and then relights when a determined differential is reached 20 degrees say so relights at 120. That's the short of it.

With modulating equipment the burner can modulate down as supply temp is reached, and maintain that temp at a lower output until setpoint is reached.
    ZmanMaxl