Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rusty "new" gas boiler?

yuli_osu
yuli_osu Member Posts: 3
Hi, my HVAC contractor is installing a new Weil-Mclain GV90+4 natural gas boiler in my house. But when the box was opened, the back of the boiler looks very rusty. Please see attached photos for the rusty part and the CP number in the back.

Is this kind of rusty condition normal for a new unit?

I have read online that rusty exchange is the worst enemy of a gas boiler.

I am a new customer of Weil-Mclain gas boiler. Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    To note: I'm not a pro but have had to deal with a boiler by WM. Section that we got after one was being replaced was also a bit more on the rusty side, but it was all surface rust and nothing structural. As long as integrity is fine, surface rust won't hurt it.

Before this gets any farther along with the install, if it were me, I would call the distributor to come out and see this. Better safe than sorry. What does your installer say? Some rust is normal on these as they may sit around for a while and they are cast iron. Although there usually is some oil left over from casting, rusting should not be extensive. This to me looks like excessive rusting, and maybe even bad casting. I would not believe the casting is bad as there is quality control (hopefully) on these before they go out, but from the photo it also looks like there is a large crack along the top edge. Maybe it's the photo. Get the distributor to come out and take a look. Crack is a no-no.
    yuli_osu
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Its all part of the casting process. All cast iron boilers have that rusty look to the surface.
    yuli_osu
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Never been a big fan of those boilers plus I thought they stopped making them. Call WM and give them the CP number and see when it was made.
  • yuli_osu
    Many thanks, MilanD & kcopp. I did get the distributor to come out and he said this was due to water pressure testing at the factory, which leaves the surface rusty. Many thanks for your help!
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    From WM web site cp look up.

CP Number: 7494056
    Description: GV90+ 4 NG T007 S2 Blr
    Manufactured Date: 7/25/16
    Item Number: 382200611
    yuli_osu
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    I've installed a number of those now. Follow the piping design they spec and they will serve you well.
    yuli_osuSolid_Fuel_Man
  • yuli_osu
    Many thanks, unclejohn, this is very useful!
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Pretty normal. Wipe it down with an oily rag.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    yuli_osu
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801

Pretty normal. Wipe it down with an oily rag.

Oily rag could cause orders, jmo
    JUGHNE
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    They'll burn off, nothing to worry about.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I have on several occasions in the past pressure washed the cast iron just to make it look better. Just make sure controls are covered with plastic,
    MilanDyuli_osu
  • j a_2

They'll burn off, nothing to worry about.

A contractor may understand it will burn off, but mommy with new baby will scream,and as well she should...
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @j a said:
    > They'll burn off, nothing to worry about.
    >
    > A contractor may understand it will burn off, but mommy with new baby will scream,and as well she should...
    >
    >
    > That's what pacifiers are for. As for the baby, close the door to the nursery and crank up the Metallica.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    HVACNUT said:

> @j a said:

> They'll burn off, nothing to worry about.

>

> A contractor may understand it will burn off, but mommy with new baby will scream,and as well she should...

>

>

> That's what pacifiers are for. As for the baby, close the door to the nursery and crank up the Metallica.

Wow.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • j a_2
    Yup kinda agree....
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    @ja @ChrisJ
    I wasn't serious.
    With a new furnace, you'll get odors on start up, and mom screaming is not going to prevent it.
  • ChrisJ
    edited September 2017
    HVACNUT said:

@ja @ChrisJ

I wasn't serious.

With a new furnace, you'll get odors on start up, and mom screaming is not going to prevent it.

Ah.

It's been my experience mom's least worries are the new boiler when it comes to smell.

https://youtu.be/I1LI7ndOcGU
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    I think we've gone on a small tangent.

@yuli_osu I wouldn't be concerned about the surface rust.
    In a few years that entire block is going to be nothing but rust, it's just how cast iron is. The good news is, it won't effect it's life or performance.

Cheers.