Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Surface mount junction box/transformer on boiler jacket?

We have a Burnham V-74T boiler. I need to add a 24v transformer to power a wifi thermostat. Is it ok to attach primary leads of transformer to L1and L2 of oil burner ignition control? Also, is it ok to screw the junction box to the outside jacket on side of boiler? Thanks very much. Dave

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    What is the xfmr going to be for?
  • Dave_61
    Dave_61 Member Posts: 308
    It will be powering a wifi thermostat
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    I wouldn't think it would be a problem to screw the junction box to the boiler jacket, assuming the screws don't hit something inside.

However, one of the two primary (120 volt) leads must, no options, be wired as a neutral, which means it must lead, with no switches or fuses, to the neutral in your fuse or circuit breaker box. The other side is hot, and should go through a switch -- though that is optional -- and then a properly rated fuse or circuit breaker. It could be on the same circuit as the oil burner, but I'd rather see it branch off that circuit on its own feed rather than Macgyvering it onto the burner control -- even if that is an properly fused, neutraled and switched connection.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Dave said:

It will be powering a wifi thermostat

Does the thermostat allow you to power it from a separate source than what it is controlling? Most do not.
    The Honeywell Prestige I just installed does, but it's the only one I've seen so far that does.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave_61
    I'm not sure. It is an Ecobee 4.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Yes you can connect it to the oil burner primary hot and neutral connections. I am assuming the oil burner has a switch witch will kill the power to both the primary and to the new transformer.

Yes you can mount the junction box on the boiler jacket use 1/2 or 3/4 inch screws
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > Yes you can connect it to the oil burner primary hot and neutral connections.
    >
    >
    >> Ed, I'm assuming you meant L1, L2 on the aquastat, not the primary. The primary only gets power through B1 on a call from the aquastat.
    >
    >
    >> @Dave, don't mount anything on the right side of the jacket as that is an access panel for cleaning.
  • Dave_61
    Thanks guys. I'd definitely use short screws. I wasn't sure if outside of boiler would get too hot.
  • Dave_61

Yes you can connect it to the oil burner primary hot and neutral connections. I am assuming the oil burner has a switch witch will kill the power to both the primary and to the new transformer.

The oil burner ignition controller is Honeywell R8184. It has a kill switch.
  • HVACNUT
    > @Dave said:
    > The oil burner ignition controller is Honeywell R8184. It has a kill switch.
    >
    >
    >> You CANNOT wire it into the R8184.
    Read my post above.
  • Dave_61
    edited August 2017
    I didn't see an aquastat on the boiler. It is a steam boiler. I will look again.
  • HVACNUT
    > @Dave said:
    > I didn't see an aquastat on the boiler. It is a steam boiler. I will look again.
    >
    >
    >> Aha! Then I owe @EBEBRATT-Ed an apology.
    You can wire it into your R8184. It does (should) have constant 115v.
    The burner circuit will close at TT.
    Sorry Ed.
    >
    >> But keep in mind, it doesn't have a kill switch. That black lever is only to manually put the primary into safety. It will not interrupt 115v coming in on the black wire.
  • Dave_61
    There is a switch at top of stairs to turn off boiler. I thought that is what you meant by kill switch.
  • HVACNUT
    > @Dave said:
    > There is a switch at top of stairs to turn off boiler. I thought that is what you meant by kill switch.
    >
    >
    >> ok. Emergency switch at the top of the stairs. The way you worded it, it sounded like you meant a kill switch on the R8184.
    >
    > Fire up the Ecobee! Done yet? Lol.
    Write back to tell us how you made out.