Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What type of paint should I use on cast iron baseboard?

rickster05
rickster05 Member Posts: 39
I'm in the process of restoring and installing some old Crane baseboard. I have used a stripper to remove almost all of the paint. I want to paint them to match my existing mop boards and am wondering what type of paint I should use? I would prefer to use a roller and brush, not spray paint.

In the past, I have had radiators sand blasted and powder coated, but not possible with these. Thanks!
Tarm Solo Plus wood boiler with 600 gal storage tank using repurposed cast iron radiators.

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    There is a great link here on Dans thoughts on painting radiators I don't know how to attach it properly...The stripper may cause a petroleum oder for longer than you want jmo
    rickster05
  • rickster05
    How can I find the link? I did use a cleaner after, so hopefully it won't off gass too bad...
    Tarm Solo Plus wood boiler with 600 gal storage tank using repurposed cast iron radiators.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I've customarily used the same paints I use for walls and baseboard on my radiators -- Benjamin Moore Aqua, although other companies make paint which is just as good. Some don't, of course...

Since you have used stripper, though, even with the cleaner I would be very much inclined to use a quality primer first, such as Zinsser's Bin or the one from Benjamin Moore.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    rickster05
  • rickster05
    Question, what will the primer do regarding the stripper/cleaner?
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    We painted our Burnham BASE-RAY. We used Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo, a paint brush, and a lot of patience.

Here's the article: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/how-do-you-paint-cast-iron-baseboard-radiators/
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    I installed 22' of new Gov-Board (trade name for Burnham Base-Ray cast iron baseboard) last month. It was factory primed.
    Here's what the Install Manual recommended regarding paint...

Painting – Gov-Board and Trim are primed with a latex
    (water based) paint and must be top coated with a high
    grade oil or solvent based enamel to prevent rusting of
    the metals immediately after installation. Primer coated
    products should not be allowed to sweat as a result of
    high room humidity or cold water in system. The use of
    flat wall paint is not recommended since it may chip or
    crack when applied to surfaces that are heated. Consult
    reputable paint dealer.

I sprayed them with Rustoleum primer prior to install then painted them with regular rustoleum shoe leather brown enamel using a hot-dog roller after installation. They came out looking really nice.
    They did stink for a few days afterwards, but being summertime we left all the windows open till the smell stopped (4-days or so IIRC).