Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator

I have a Carlin oil burner that supplies domestic hot water as well as our heat. There are 3 heating zones. The boiler is in the basement and the house is a 2 story house. I need to replace the circulating pump that is installed just below the returns for all 3 zones. How do I choose which size to buy? The cover that was on the old circulator is gone so I can't get the info off of that.
ChrisF80

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    post some pictures and give us the size of the pipe connected to the circulator
  • tommytelephones
    tommytelephones Member Posts: 15
    The return lines are 3/4" and they all are piped into a 1" that goes into the pump. Looks like 1 1/2" out of the bottom of the pump.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    looks like a Taco 007.
    More than likely you will be fine w/ that.
    Zman
  • tommytelephones
    That's a 1/2" HP correct ?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    1/25 HP
  • tommytelephones
    Great...thanks guys
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I can't believe some installers still don't know to pump away.
    Anyway, yes, that is a Taco 007. When you install it, make sure the arrow is facing down. If the supply house only has IFC 007's in stock, you must remove the check valve at the output of the volute.
    The return on the WGO Weil McLain is 1 1/2". If it was me, I'd replace the
    1 1/2" bottom circ flange, and the close nipple. Those bottom bolts look like they'll need a Sawzall or hack saw.
    A pack of circ flanges should come with 4 sets of nuts and bolts.
  • tommytelephones
    I'm wondering if there is a pattern in which the bolts should be tightened and possibly with a torque wrench, like you would with heads on a motor, only because this unit is only 8 or so years old and it has had a leak around the pump for about 4 years now which is what blew up the pump to begin with because water made it into where the power connects and shorted it out.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    The flanges shouldn't touch each other. Finger tight and maybe 11/2 to 2 turns more. Over tightening is what makes them leak.
    bob
    tommytelephones
  • tommytelephones
    Appreciate it gentlemen
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    If everything is aligned properly, one turn past finger tight should be sufficient with new gaskets.

Mis aligned piping most often is the reason flange bolts are over torqued, and leaks at gaskets.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The 4 screws holding the motor to the body on the 007 should be checked for tightness. Maybe the installer rotated the motor for better access to the electric.
    Taco started with 5/16 hex, then went to 5/32 Allen, now I think they're torx heads.
    The new 007 will come with O-ring gaskets. I use them, but a lot of guys opt for the red gaskets instead, sold seperately.
    tommytelephones