Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU rating for a cast iron convector in 48"x24'' cabinet need advise/ help please

Johnyguy
Johnyguy Member Posts: 6
edited July 2017 in Strictly Steam
Hello
I have a living room and i have a old steell convector 30 inch long, the space is 280 SF 13'x22' i purchased a 47 inch by 6 inch two tier cast iron convector based on the recommendation for the room it is a steam system in a building 1st floor APT the living room is next to kitchen on one side and bedroom on the other side i like to know if i got the right size convector ?? Some expert please let me know what you think? the cabinet is going into is 48 inch by 24 height goes under the window

THANK YOU!!

Comments

• Johnyguy
    I meant the cabinet is 48"x24"
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Can you make some sort of ballpark guesstimate of the total surface area -- fins (both sides) and pipe and all? If you can, then the BTU rating for it will simply be 240 times that surface area, in square feet... depending on how the cabinet is built, it might knock as much as 20 to 30 percent off that -- but that's a ballpark, too, and if there are sufficient openings (top and bottom) in the cabinet, it won't even be that much.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BobC
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    pictures..pictures
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Johnyguy

Can you make some sort of ballpark guesstimate of the total surface area -- fins (both sides) and pipe and all? If you can, then the BTU rating for it will simply be 240 times that surface area, in square feet... depending on how the cabinet is built, it might knock as much as 20 to 30 percent off that -- but that's a ballpark, too, and if there are sufficient openings (top and bottom) in the cabinet, it won't even be that much.

HI thank you for the reply yes i know that the convector i am looking at it has a rating of 9600 BTU my question is is that enough for my the 280 SF living room the next size up is 11280 BTU would that be an overkill? is that true if the cabinet is 24" high i get better BTU than from a 20" high cabinet!

Thanks!!
  • Johnyguy

This is it

And the cabinet is 24" tall just like on the picture
  • Johnyguy
    They recomended me a 47" long one which has a rating of 9840 BTU
    The next size is 55" with rating 11760 BTU whic one should i get i dont want to overheat the space but i want the rigth size for the room.
  • Johnyguy
    edited July 2017
    please see pic above