Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How To Remove Whole House Filter

smithfan
smithfan Member Posts: 91

The bypass busted on this Dupont whole house filter so I bought an identical replacement for it. Went to change it out and realized when I spin the unit around the threads it loosens on one side but tightens on the other side.

Decided to leave it for now, Unfortunately I must of shredded the plumbers tape enough that I'm leaking out both outlet and inlet as marked in picture. So now I want it off but can't figure out how to remove it.
Plumbing is not my strong suit, but I'm very motivated to DIY this one.

As mentioned I already have an identical replacement ready to go, just need some guidance on how to remove the old unit and screw on the new one.

Any tips, tricks, and tools I'll need would be MUCH appreciated.

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Somehow you will have to remove the piping from one side so you can unscrew the head. You might have to cut the pipe past the filter head in order to do this, and then put in a union to repair it.
    More picture from a little farther back would help.
    Rick
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Maybe on the right hand side under the valve there might be a union. Not handy.....but better than none.
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    There should be a union somewhere on the line and that's where you break it down from. If not, cut it out!
    Good luck
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Might I add that if there isn't a union and you have to cut it out -- for goodness sake install a union when you put it back together!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LionA29MilanD
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    Also consider moving the filter to a location where you can put a solid mounting bracket on it. Too much torque on the plastic bodies overtime you try to change a filter often causes them to break like that. Also tightening the nipples excessively.

Bolt it to the concrete wall with a wall bracket like the strut behind it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JUGHNEsmithfan
  • smithfan
    smithfan Member Posts: 91
    I believe there's a union. I'll take some better pictures with the insulation off. As a temporary fix, could I shut the water off and do some silcone caulking around the water filter inlet/outlet to stop the leak?
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    smithfan said:

...As a temporary fix, could I shut the water off and do some silcone caulking around the water filter inlet/outlet to stop the leak?

Domestic city water is 90PSI or higher sometimes.
    It will blow right through silicone sealer applied to the outside of the fittings.
    It needs a proper fix.

Is your water that bad that you need one of those whole house filters? I personally don't trust those all plastic units at all. If you really need a whole house filter, look for one with a metal body at least.