Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

peerless boiler

My Peerless steam boiler is now going on 32 years old or so. I'm considering a new one. I think the Peerless WBV-03 series would be sufficient for a 1900 sq- ft house. Any suggestions on installers who are reasonable on price (I know we don't discuss pricing on the Wall), but who is good. and is Peerless still a good brand or are there better or more reliable ones these days.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    My locksmith has a sign which says, "our prices reflect using the most high quality parts, installed by highly trained technicians, in the shortest time possible. If you would like a discount, which part shall we leave out?"
    The quality of, all the boilers is virtually identical, but the quality of the installers is quite variable. Use the find a contractor button here to contact a reputable installer. Is there a stocking distributor near you for Peerless, in case you need parts later?
    One thing should be done first: a radiation capacity survey, known as EDR. The radiators should be measured and their EDR in square feet of steam, calculated from a chart found here. From that total, the boiler can be sized. Installation should follow the manufacturers piping instructions.--NBC
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    'Reasonable on price".

That's a subjective term, but I think that I understand where you're coming from.

As a contractor, to me it's reasonable to be a 10 (on a scale of 1 - 10), and to charge 10 (on a scale of 1 - 10). What would be unreasonable would be to do 4 work and charge 10 for it. Or, for a customer to expect 10 work, but want to pay 4. Quite often, that's what many think is "reasonable" though.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPAMilanD
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited April 2017
    @Ironman

As long as it's not this guy:
    https://youtu.be/XjuuuwbP3Bw

Price at ?, quality at 1!

When it comes to steam, I heard more stories like this than I can count. Best thing you can do Daniel, is to educate yourself about steam. Then, if there are no contractors from this site that are close to you, to call your local boiler supply place(s) (winstel controls, etc), and ask who buys the most residential steam boilers from them and has been in business the longest. Then, go down the list an interview like crazy. Ask to see pics of their other steam boiler jobs (near piping, and pressutetrol settings) and ask them what they think good op pressure should be. Anyone who says over 1.5 psi, it's a no go.

Best of luck and congrats on a 32 year old boiler!