Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New oil boiler

derby
derby Member Posts: 3
Im looking for a new oil fired boiler for my home in CT.
I have got quotes for Peerless, Burnham, Buderus and Viessmann. More recently, Ive been reading about Energy Kinetics EK 2000. My main concern is reliability - efficiency is secondary.
I just wanted for some feedback and answers to few questions:
1. They say EK steel has better durability than cast iron. How true is that? Any experiences with cracks or leaks in this?
2. Everyone lauds Viessmann but I never hear anyone who has it. Anybody can speak to their reliability?
3. Buderus - I was told quality has come down after they got acquired or sold - dont recall the detail of that. But the installer claims they dont make them the same now as in past. True?
4. Most installers I call are ready to install any of them - so I have a choice. I dont mind a few hundred dollars extra for the right brand. Given that, is there one preferred over the other?
5. Who is rated best or worst for warranty and customer support?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    The installer is going to have a much greater impact on your satisfaction than the choice of boiler. All of those will give fine service. Boilers aren't comparable to almost any other consumer purchase, the best analogy I can give is a restaurant. While ingredients are important, the chef and waitstaff are what makes or breaks it.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    What @Robert O'Brien said. It's the installer. I realise -- all too well -- that the modern tendency is to buy the widget -- maybe on line even -- and then look for someone to put it together. No one seems to think of service, or proper installation and maintenance -- but that's what will make or break a heating job (which happens to include the boiler -- the heat source). Find a good reputable installer and listen to them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    i live in CT, where area you from, im in bristol, i install peerless all the time and havnt had any problems at all, even service peerless boilers that are 30m and 40 yrs old, even installing a peerless steamer this very week!, if you want to go high end and want to reduce your oil bill by almost half then get a buderus but stay away from the logimatic control, im not a fan of these there expensive and dont give you the money back they say it does, just get the hydrostat that can be put in the logimatics place,...believe me ive tested them. make sure you get a true pro to install either one and you'll have many years of good service!!!!
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    derby
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Buderus was bought by Bosch a few years ago but nothing has changed in quality or reliability. I am a big fan of the Logamatic 2107 control but your service company must be familiar with it (and you as well) as they can be overwhelming to the inexperienced. My burner choice with the G115 or G215 is Riello.
    The System 2000 is also a good boiler. The EK1 comes with a Beckett AFG and the EK2 comes with a Carlin 99. Again, your service company must carry parts on the truck specific to the EK and be knowledgeable with the EK Heat Manager.
    Like the others have said, the installers are just as, if not more important than the choice of equipment.
    derby
  • derby

i live in CT, where area you from, im in bristol, i install peerless all the time and havnt had any problems at all, even service peerless boilers that are 30m and 40 yrs old,

Im in the Stamford area. Thats good to know about Peerless. My thought is get the best one even if its another $1k - since they have to last 20-30yrs.
    Yes I will choose the installer - but most installers told me they will install any brand I ask for.
  • derby
    Thanks guys. Yes i am in the process of picking an installer. That's the more tricky part. Is there any advantage to going with your regular oil supply company? They seem to have good techs.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Any one of those boilers will go more than 20 years, or should. As far as reliability goes, if it has a Riello burner on it, you are probably not going to have to change many parts in its life. Definitely the most reliable burner out there.
    Rick
    Grallertderby
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    yes,, i second that !!! riello # 1
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    edited April 2017
    > @derby said:
    > Yes I will choose the installer - but most installers told me they will install any brand I ask for.

>> that should be a red flag. Most reputable companies are dealers in only a few manufacturers that they feel are reliable, are experienced with and stock parts for service and replacement. Anybody can install anything, but will it be correct, neat and serviceable?
    And definitely the Riello.
  • bink
    bink Member Posts: 97
    I just went hrough this about 2 years ago. My advice is try to see if any installers are certified by the manufacturer. It may not be the total answer but could be an inidication. If your willing to read a book nora.org sells a good book that covers the oil heat systems fairly well. Also make sure you take your chimney into consideration the new boilers may have lower flue temperatures. I bought a Buderus G115 but wound up putting a stainless liner in chimney which was recommended because the 300 degree flue temperature coming from the Buderus could cause deterioration in my clay-lined chimney. Keep asking questions - best to be informed then you know if the salesman is giving you the correct information.
    derby
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I haven't touched oil for maybe 25 years. However if an installer says he will install any brand of anything you want......he most likely does not want nor plan to see it again. Done, paid and gone....."well that is the model/brand you wanted and I don't really know anything about it."
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    I am an installer for a supplier. One benefit to having them install it is they will be there down the road. Most suppliers are more interested in you being happy and buying oil not arguing if a part fails. Best bet is to ask them for some references, and call them (customers)and ask. Also make sure your contract lays out what will be done and who will be responsible. Make sure it will follow installation and proper piping practices.