Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler help

italian
italian Member Posts: 3
edited March 2017 in Oil Heating
Hi,
I live on Long Island, NY. It's time to change my oil boiler, but I have no clue which brand and size to go with. I was hoping you guys could help.

We have a 40 year old Peerless boiler/furnace with 5 zones that use hot water and forced air through air handlers that are shared with the AC system. The furnace is connected to a chimney. The house is just over 5,000sq/ft.

What would be a good reliable brand boiler to get instead? How many BTUs should it be?

Thank you.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    These are all things that are decided by a skilled contractor, during the prep stages of a job. The size of the boiler is determined by the heat loss of the structure, as determined by calculations. Available fuel types also plays a part in the selection of type. A good local contractor will select the most reliable boiler, properly sized, properly supported, and properly install it. Do you see what the most important part of the job is?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    What Paul said. Generally with oil, a triple pass with an indirect will be the best choice. There really aren't any bad triple pass boilers. You can bet the existing boiler is oversized, maybe by a factor of 2 or 3.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    @Robert O'Brien is a skilled contractor, from your neck of the woods. Putting him on the job, means, start to finish the job would be done correctly. Whomever you choose....now is the time to discuss any concerns you may have regarding cold areas of the house. Sometimes with an installation(old), there could be something hidden from view. It may require some detective work.
    kcoppIronman
  • italian

What Paul said. Generally with oil, a triple pass with an indirect will be the best choice. There really aren't any bad triple pass boilers. You can bet the existing boiler is oversized, maybe by a factor of 2 or 3.

Robert, are you able to come by to give us a quote?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Certainly
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    kcopp
  • italian
    I tried to call you, went to voicemail.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Leave him a message, he'll get back to you.

A good mechanic will be in the field involved in his work, not sitting in the office waiting for the phone to ring.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Robert O'Brien
    I was in fact, in a basement! Going to take a look on Friday
    CTOilHeatJimIfert