Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what replaces my TACO circulator pump ?

seandarcy
seandarcy Member Posts: 21
I have a circulator pump for radiant that I think has gone bad. Sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes it starts, then just stops. But I can't find the same pump, and I'm looking for a replacement. It's a green cylinder, with TACO model number 080-921 ( maybe 7 ? ). I'll try to post a photo.

There are valves above and below the pump, so it seems like a pretty straight forward DIY project. Is it ?

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    That circulator is not that old. Are you sure it is not just starting, and stopping on a heat call?
    Paul48
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely that a circulator would fail like that. I'd look at wiring and controls. Shut the power off and back track from the circ. Loose connections or bad relay contacts may be blackened from heat.
    Gordy
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    It could also be the thermostat. Is the pump wires to a relay control box? Usually there are indicator lights indicating when there is a cll for heat.

If the call for heat light stays on check voltage at the pump.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • seandarcy
    The indicator lights are on at the relay control box. When there is a call for heat, the pump heats up, but the pipes do not get hot. Sometimes, it does work, and the pipes get hot.

I will check the voltage at the pump.

Any suggestions on a replacement ?
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    The model number will be located on the electrical box. That number is just the sticker number.
    But, yes, something's afoot with the circ turning on and off randomly.

Dave H
    Dave H
  • seandarcy
    Yup, on the electrical box. TACO 007-F5-1IFC. I only see 007-F5-7IFC available. Is this just the newer, shinier model, or do I need to find the 1IFC model ?
  • Dave H_2
    You don't need to find the older model, much less will you be able to and it would be way out of warranty. So you can stick to the exact same one or even upgrade to the newer ECM version, 007e. This will fit in the exact same spot as the 007.

Dave H
    Dave H
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    How does the pressure in the system look? Does it bounce up and then down to a very low pressure?
    Rick
  • saulcar
    saulcar Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Dave H said:

You don't need to find the older model, much less will you be able to and it would be way out of warranty. So you can stick to the exact same one or even upgrade to the newer ECM version, 007e. This will fit in the exact same spot as the 007.

Dave H

Hi - I have a taco 007-F5-1IFC that died a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure what the difference between the multiple IFC versions is (they all seem to be the same size) but is there something I should be particularly concerned about? Otherwise, can I simply replace it with the 007-F5-7IFC or 007e (which seem to be the most commonly available ones)? Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

Saul
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited March 2017
    It looks like the 007e would be a nice upgrade assuming it is baseboard heat or other low head application.
    What type of system are you attaching it to?
    @Dave H would be the one to ask.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    007e would be an awesome choice.
    Steve Minnich
  • saulcar
    saulcar Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both. Yes, baseboard heater. The previous owner built a nice multi-zone system (he probably overdid it but I'm sure there was a good salesperson behind it hehe). This particular zone is connected to a line voltage thermostat in the basement, so, if I go with the 007e, I may swap it with one from a different zone (and use the 007e in a busier zone).

Regarding the old IFC, am I right to assume from your answers that the 007e replaces the IFC without a problem?

Thank you again for your help!
  • Tinman
    The 007e will replace all 007's. Its not a delta P or T pump. The difference is that it uses a more efficient motor.
    Steve Minnich
  • Dave H_2
    Saul,

The only thing you need to be concerned with is a 007, the different numbers on the end just mean small manufacturing revisions which usually doesn't mean it translates to the field worth noting.

The 007e is also an IFC circ, except that the IFC is not installed in the circ, it is included in the box so that you can either use it or not.

The 007e is a more efficient circ in power usage and can also change speed automatically if there is a pressure change in the loop. So yes, the 007e is a Delta P circ if there is a pressure change to occur meaning the opening or closing of zone valves. If you are zone pumping, it will be a fixed speed circ but consuming at least half the power of the 007 if not more depending upon the size of the zone (where the system curve meets the circ curve) it could use even less power!

So, it your choice, 007e or the 007-XXXXXX

Enjoy
    Dave H
    Hilly
  • Tinman
    My bad. I did not know it was delta P.
    Steve Minnich
    rick in Alaska
  • Dave H_2
    That's Ok @Stephen Minnich

That's the beauty of it, the simplicity if you want, the variable speed if you want. No dials, buttons or programming.

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • Tinman
    @Dave H - I read all the sales sheets on it before and after your post just to confirm I didn't miss something. Is there a reason its not necessarily advertised as delta P?
    Steve Minnich
  • Dave H_2
    You're right @Stephen Minnich . I just re-read everything myself on the website. We don't flat out state that it is a Delta P or variable for that matter in so many words.

What I do find is the constant pressure curve shown multiple times for 10' of head where it will vary its speed. So I will make a note of it and get it back to the powers-that-be.

You know when you are close to a project and understand it it inside and out, sometime the obvious is forgotten when writing it down for the masses.

Thanks and Enjoy

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • Tinman
    Thanks @Dave H - I saw the curve too. Love the new pumps you guys are coming out with.
    Steve Minnich