Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

antifreeze decreased in one year time?

tinalhm
tinalhm Member Posts: 19
Hello:
I have a questions and I hope I chose the right category to place this question. I had antifreeze put in the heating system one year ago, and it was supposed to be at -20. However I just had my Buderus Oil Boiler cleaned and I asked the service man to please check the antifreeze and it was at +10? Why would it go from -20 to +10 in a years time? WE have not had any leaks or anything that I know of and my Buderus Oil Boiler is one year old. They put it in when they added the antifreeze. Thank you in advance for any and all comments.
Tina

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Do you have documentation on the original fill percentage?
    Did they measure it or just estimate?
    With many systems, you could have a very slight leak that goes unnoticed. If the system has an automatic fill valve, antifreeze leaks out slowly and is replaced by water, diluting the mix.
    If you post a picture, we could tell you if this is possible.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    I have a compensation scale from Hercules Chemical that gives a burst protection of -20 for a refractometer reading of +10.......
  • tinalhm
    OK, I am very novice about this. When they added the antifreeze they tested it with one of those testing strips. I am not sure what an automatic fill valve is? Would that be right on the boiler? I could certainly take a picture. Thank you for your comments!
    Tina
  • tinalhm
    Mike, I am not understanding your comment. Why would it give a burst protection of -20 with a reading of +10? Tina
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    your levels are based on at what point the pump will move the fluid and what point the pipe will burst. It's possible the readings were off a bit when they installed it due to not being fully blended on the test. A year later it's a accurate test. Do you have pipe exposure or a cause for concern on your piping?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    tinalhm said:

Mike, I am not understanding your comment. Why would it give a burst protection of -20 with a reading of +10? Tina

The fluid is basically slush between the two temps. Not workable but not damaging the pipes either.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • tinalhm
    Yes, we have pipes in the attic, they are wrapped but did have an issue at one point with them starting to freeze. I was concerned that when they originally put the antifreeze in (when they put in the new buderus boiler) they didn't put it in at the correct amount and that cost was included in the install. I know that to add more is quite expensive but If that is what I need to do, then I need to do it. That makes sense that if he tested it right after putting it in it was not blended. Thank you.