Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where's the boiler?

happydave
happydave Member Posts: 79

So you have no heat? Yes that's correct. Ok please show me the boiler. My husband moved the refrigerator so you can see in... what?????? Needless to say with my petite 5'9" 210lbs my big Swede head couldn't even fit. They finished the basement and built the wall across the front of the boiler. Chalk one up to the brother-in-law. Had to lay on the floor and fully extend my arms to light the pilot after I replaced the powerpile.
icy78CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2017
    You're much kinder than I am. I would have gotten the sawzall out and opened it up to meet code.

How is it getting air for combustion?

You just can't fix stupid.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    happydavewcs5050Charlie from wmass
  • happydave
    happydave Member Posts: 79
    Room on other side, but built wall across the front for a pantry!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Stupid doesn't even begin to cover this. I'm with @Ironman about code. Sometimes we have to save people from themselves.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    happydaveCharlie from wmass
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    So..........

I mean..........
    Forget it.

I've got nothing good to say.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KoanCanuckerhappydave
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Your all nicer than me. "Call me back when you have at least a 30" wide x 60" high access. I won't be squeezing through studs either. That'll be $155.00."
    Its not just homeowners either. There's newer multimillion dollar homes in my service area where the architects design equipment locations where ceilings and walls have to be opened for access, like the units will never have to be touched again once they're installed.
    happydave
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    > @HVACNUT said:
    > access, like the units will never have to be touched again once they're installed.

That's because the architect will never have to touch the unit "ever again" :#
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    CanuckerJUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Conduit run across the front of the access panel for furnace above ceiling.
    Wall built 4" from boiler front.
    Move the refrigerator to change filter or access air handler.
    Miserable attic access to change filter in air handler when a ceiling filter grill could have been installed.
    Attic AC with condensate piped directly into DWV vent in attic.
    (Why did the ceiling fall down when it plugged and overflowed)

The list could go on....most of us have seen this and more.
    When I was younger and dumber I worked around a lot of this stuff. It was all a good education for future installs.

The attitude of the home owner was "well that is the heating guy's problem....he will have to cope".
    It took some years to realize it but now I know it is the homeowner's problem.....and tell them about it and often walk away.