Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Gauge Help

bsullivan
bsullivan Member Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in Oil Heating
Hello all, new here to posting. Feeling a little silly asking, but which part of the gauge here do I read? The top of the needle or the actual yellow float?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Need a picture. Not sure what gauge you are talking about.
    Rick
  • bsullivan
    edited February 2017
    photo IMG_0264_zpshm7h3iwd.jpg
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    I'd say your low...about an 1/8th of a tank or 30 to 40 gallons...old tank and that low equal issues down the road...
    ericmmff
  • bsullivan
    edited February 2017
    Very tough to tell because of the variables like weather and all that, but by keeping the house (1600 sq feet split level built in 1994, at 67 degrees will this be enough to make it until delivery on Tuesday? We never let it go this low but due to some unforeseen circumstances we had to bump the delivery out two weeks. It's chilly here today, about 20 and showing and we're looking at temps around 30 and about 2.5 feet of snow over the next two days.

Thanks so much
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    The best i could say is... maybe. It wouldn't be enough for the place I care for, but you might be able to get by.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    2.5 feet of snow coming, I'd get oil before it snows.
    1/8 of a tank is about 30 gallons. But, if you're drawing the oil out of the top of the tank, you're just about empty.
    If you're drawing out of the bottom, you risking clogging the oil line/filter.
    If you absolutely have to wait until Tuesday, you can run to the local gas station with some 5 gallon cans and dump some diesel fuel into the tank. If you live in a rural area and the gas station sells Off Road Diesel, that will be cheaper and that will work too.
    BTW, the gauge is as accurate (when working correctly) as the ones in your car. You will know empty when you see where it is when you run out.
    steve
  • bsullivan
    Thanks a lot everyone!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Looks to me the indicator dropped down the needle. Unscrew the vial and pull the disc to the top of the needle.
    If you're handy, you can install a wireless gauge like the Beckett Rocket. I installed one when I installed a new above 275 outside. Just make sure you set the dip switches correctly on the receiver.