Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old boiler issues

Dcboyd
Dcboyd Member Posts: 25
I an renting a property that has oil heat and i have an old boiler and the pipes in the back have rusted out very bad to the point where it broke off the boiler. Can this be fixed?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Without any pictures it's impossible to say.

From the sound of it, probably not, you likely need a new boiler.

But, we need pictures.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dcboyd
    I have a person who said they could fix it but i was just wondering if its capable of being fixed even though he said he could do it
  • ChrisJ
    There's always tricks and ways to do things.
    The question would be why did those pipes rust out, and what condition is the boiler in?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dcboyd
    I don't know i just moved in the property in December, It comes on but nothing is heating up.
  • Dcboyd
    I'm renting the property and my landlord stats she didn't have the funds to get it fixed
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    Boy this sounds really BAD. Might be really bad, might not. If you post a few pictures of the boiler and the pipes folks here will help you out. That's why we're here.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Dcboyd said:

I'm renting the property and my landlord stats she didn't have the funds to get it fixed

FYI legally the landlord has no choice. The law dictates they must provide heat. Pictures would definitely help, but I wouldn't pay for it unless you get it in writing that your rent is reduced accordingly.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Grallertkcopp
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Is this a house or commercial building? Will the landlord have the funds to fix frozen water pipes?
    When you say it comes on but won't heat, what is happening?
    You need someone with steam experience to judge whether this can be fixed.--NBC
  • Dcboyd
    It's a complicated situation and i know that legally she suppose to make sure we have heat but she offered us one of her other properties but since she's not trying to get it fixed i'm going to see how much it would be to pay to get it fixed instead and have her deduct it from my rent. I currently don't have pictures handy because i am at work but i appreciate you guys. :-)
  • Dcboyd
    Its a house
  • Dcboyd
    The water started coming from out the back of the boiler because the pipes was so rusted.
  • Dcboyd
    The pipe in the back is no longer connected to the boiler
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    That's a tough situation, for both of you. At least the communication lines are open.

It might be a simple fix, in which case get pics posted up and the pros here will offer their opinion.

It might not be. Then what do you do? Having a safe heating system is a right as a tenant. I'd be concerned your landlord is not able to effectively provide this or any other safety measures.

Is this gas or oil heat?

I hate to say this but I'd be looking for a new place. Being a landlord is a business. If you can't pay the bills you shouldn't be accepting rent money. I know that may be an unfair assessment of her situation but it's also unfair of her to expect you to accept no heat in the winter.

My spidey senses say this can only get worse. Eject.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    BobCKC_Jones
  • Dcboyd
    Its oil heat. Finding a new place is NOT as easy as it sounds. That's why i'm trying out all my options
  • KC_Jones
    Dcboyd said:

It's a complicated situation and i know that legally she suppose to make sure we have heat but she offered us one of her other properties but since she's not trying to get it fixed i'm going to see how much it would be to pay to get it fixed instead and have her deduct it from my rent. I currently don't have pictures handy because i am at work but i appreciate you guys. :-)

If you have it deducted from the rent I would make sure it's a signed contract.

I can't help but comment, this person owns multiple rentals, but doesn't have money to fix the one you live in? Honestly if that is the case I would absolutely press them on this issue. If they can't afford them all, sell some and take care of what is manageable. This is a landlords job and responsibility. You have all the power and pull in this situation whether you realize it or not.

Post some pictures when you get home and we may be able to suggest something.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    If this an arm's length business transaction -- @Sailah is right. Bail out and find someplace else.

However... if this is in some way a "friendly" or "relative" or charitable situation, someone is going to have to figure out how to fix it. It is, as has been said, the landlord's responsibility to pay for it. How she pays for it is up for discussion.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Oh boy. This has me worried:
    "I don't know i just moved in the property in December, It comes on but nothing is heating up."

This is outrageously dangerous.
    This would mean it is dry firing.

This boiler must not be fired until evaluated and serviced by someone who fully understands what they are doing.
    terry
    Koan
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2017
    If you have rusted off pipes connected to the boiler, by the floor, and no water coming out, and no water in the boiler - nothing should be firing. You will need a pro to fix this and do not operate the boiler. You all can explode and die. Do not under any circumstances add water to a hot boiler, if it ran by chance. From what you describe, this may actually be quite dangerous.
    ttekushan_3Koan
  • Dcboyd
    Here is the furnace I was told it's a boiler because I have oil heat
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    need to see the area it broke...
  • Grallert
    Is it possible to get pictures of the back side of the boiler?
  • Dcboyd
    The pipes are going to be replaced. I'm at work right now so i can't send a picture of the back at this moment. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting my money on paying someone to fix it if it's unfixable
  • ChrisJ
    Dcboyd said:

The pipes are going to be replaced. I'm at work right now so i can't send a picture of the back at this moment. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting my money on paying someone to fix it if it's unfixable

There's still no way to tell you until you post pictures of what is broke.

• KC_Jones
    Dcboyd said:

Without seeing the actual broken pipe no one can answer that question. If it's broken because the boiler is rotted out it can't be fixed and the whole boiler needs replaced. If it's just a rusty pipe and the boiler itself is in good shape it could be fixed.

Judging by the condition of the outside my expectations would be low. When was the last time that was serviced? Oil burners should be PROPERLY serviced on a yearly basis.

I will also reiterate what others have said, if the water has drained out that boiler should be powered down and locked out until it can be serviced. This can't be emphasized enough, these are the things that get you on the 6 o'clock news...and not in a good way.

Landlords boggle my mind, "can't afford" to fix or service the boiler, but can afford to have the house blow up. Fantastic logic there.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    Canucker
  • Dcboyd
    Right the landlord pissed me off so bad. I am currently looking for other houses i'm hoping something becomes available but for now there is nothing. The furnace has not been on, i'm not going to turn anything on until i know it's properly fixed. Again i am currently at work but once i get home i send a picture of the back of the boiler so you guys can see the broken pipe
  • Dcboyd
    @KC_Jones How can you determine if the boiler is rotted out?
  • KC_Jones
    If the pipe fell out because the boiler rotted as opposed to the pipe rotting out of the boiler. I would guess it's a pipe, but the pictures will tell the story.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    Dcboyd
  • Grallert
    Lots of picture when you get a chance. You'll get the answers you need.
    Dcboyd
  • Dcboyd
    You guys are helping out so much i really appreciate it. @KC_Jones would the boiler still come on if it was rotted out?
  • KC_Jones
    If the boiler doesn't have a low water cut off or a low water cut off is malfunctioning, then yes it will fire dry as there isn't anything to stop it.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Dcboyd
    @KC_Jones thanks i have no idea what any of that means but i'm great-ful for all your help
  • Grallert
    So a low water cut off/LWCO is a device/switch the shuts of power to the burner if the water level drops below a set level in the boiler.
    There are a number of different types. They are standard on steam boilers. My guess is that you do not have a LWCO. You have what appears to be a circulating water water boiler and judging by the vintage it will likely not have a LWCO. According to the gauge there is pressure on the boiler. Also unlikely. If the boiler ran for any period without water that gauge is junk.
    don't run that boiler.
    Dcboyd
  • Dcboyd
    This is the back of the boiler
  • Dcboyd
    This is the back of the boiler
  • Dcboyd
    The picture with the hole in the floor is not the back
  • Dcboyd
    @Grallert thanks that explains a lot
  • MilanD
    @Dcboyd said:
    > This is the back of the boiler

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/editor/os/zxsq3iyrrlad.jpg

This picture looks to me like an old rusted out circulator pump. It's blurry when zoomed in, but I'm 99% sure. This is, therefore, a hot water system, not steam. The whole system needs to be water-tight, and air free, for the hot WATER to go around the loop and warm the radiators being pushed by the pump in this picuture. I am afraid, this is may be needing more love than just a few pipes replaced and reattached. How are the controls? How's the wiring?

Can you make a panoramic photo of the whole boiler front, sides and back, to the best of your abilities? One pic looks like 1 or 1-1/4 copper line coming up from the boiler. I bet, it being in this condition, this thing didn't work for years... You may have a whole boiler replacement job on your hands...
  • MilanD
  • Dcboyd
    @MilanD it did work before we used itt one time since we been in the property just to see if the last tenants left any oil. It worked okay then when we purchased oil it wouldn't come on. The guy who i had come see it hit some switch that located was located on some pipes and the boiler came on. However the house wasn't heating up thats when he noticed the back of the pipe was rusted and coming off
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @Dcboyd , do yourself a huge favor and don't spend any of your money trying to have that situation fixed. It is clear that boiler/system has been neglected/abused for so long that it is not reasonable to expect to bring it back to a safe operating condition for much less that it would cost to have the boiler and all the near boiler piping, pump(s), valves, safeties, etc replaced. Use you money to find a safe warm home/apartment.
    GrallertRomanGK_26986764589