Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roth tank with no oil filter?

wmechanic01
wmechanic01 Member Posts: 26
edited January 2017 in Oil Heating
Hi there I just had a brand new roth tank installed for a mobile home and the installer said there was nowhere for him to install a filter so he did not , is this ok do I need a filter , he said not to worry it would be fine I'm not shure it will be

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    He's an idiot.
    There's always a place for the filter. Where is the furnace located. You should be able to get one right at the furnace. If the oil line comes into a crawlspace, that may be better, but if it's not easily serviceable, techs may miss it or try to avoid replacing it.
    steve
  • wmechanic01
    wmechanic01 Member Posts: 26
    It's in a closet there is really not mutch room to put on in there , it is a miller cmf 80 I mean maybe put one under the house?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    A filter doesn't need much room. Yes you need one and @STEVEusaPA is correct, the tech is an idiot.

It's called creativity
  • BornForDying
    BornForDying Member Posts: 40
    I see many modulars/trailers without oil filters. The oil lines are installed so that they don't pick up oil directly off the bottom of the tank which significantly reduces the amount of dirt to come through the oil line.

They can be installed at the tank, or in the crawl space, although freezing/ can be an issue in some circumstances.

I would agree that there isn't room inside the furnace closet in most cases, assuming your service tech wants to be able to change the filter without making a mess.

Generally I prefer there be a filter, as has been stated previously. However, I would dare say that most installs like yours that I've seen, don't have oil filters.

So you'd probably survive without one, although yearly servicing would be a must, however best practice is to have an oil filter installed.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    and required by most codes
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Outside tanks should have an additive. Many don't have filters, but have a strainer, and one on the nozzle itself. In rare cases when there was a problem with the older units with a .50 or .55, we used a Delavan nozzle line filter. Rarely to never an issue with additives though
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Side note, I do like to see a primary filter if possible in this kind of install, but have also seen them create problems with air leaks and other fun stuff found at night