Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about Baseboard Fins .....

Blast
Blast Member Posts: 12
edited January 2017 in Radiant Heating
I have 2 questions about baseboard heating fins ..
A) - Is there such a thing as a "Straightner/separator tool" made for baseboard heating pipe fins, that will make it easier to straighten/gap severely dented and compressed fins vs a screwdriver or butter knife? I have seen such a specific comb tool for the smaller fins of an air conditioner compressor..
.B) - Does anyone make/sell some sort of snap-on or clamp-on fins for existing pipe, I have a long run of (older) baseboard with some sections under the covers that are finless pipe, and was wondering if there was an easy way to simply add a foot or 2 of fin in a couple of strategic spots, &/or possible replace a severly dended section without cutting.....
Thanks!

Comments

• MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Try Park Supply of America Inc they carry what should work. It clamps around the bare pipe to add fins.
  • MikeG
    The manufacturer is Fin Tek Logic LLC you have to go through a supplier. The stuff ain't cheap, but no cutting or draining. Google their page.
    Blast
  • Blast
    Blast Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2017
    Thanks .. I now see they have those on Amazon too, just have to figure out what diameter pipe I have ... I think these will be perfect for a couple of small spots that have bare pipe in the baseboard...
    Any pointers on removing or cutting off existing fins, if I also decide to replace a bad fin section using 1 of these?
  • MikeG
    My old farmhouse had 3/4" fin tube just about around the whole perimeter. Originally running 170-180 degree water. I had a 9x12 room with fin on two walls. Closing the damper didn't keep it from over heating. I cut some fins off with a pair of aviation snips. I also cover the fins with foil if needed. Running cooler water with a mod con boiler now. Wear gloves when cutting they are sharp. Just cut and twist. I've straightened a lot with a small screwdriver.
    Blast