Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Question about Baseboard Fins .....

BlastBlast Member Posts: 12
edited January 2017 in Radiant Heating
I have 2 questions about baseboard heating fins ..
A) - Is there such a thing as a "Straightner/separator tool" made for baseboard heating pipe fins, that will make it easier to straighten/gap severely dented and compressed fins vs a screwdriver or butter knife? I have seen such a specific comb tool for the smaller fins of an air conditioner compressor..
.B) - Does anyone make/sell some sort of snap-on or clamp-on fins for existing pipe, I have a long run of (older) baseboard with some sections under the covers that are finless pipe, and was wondering if there was an easy way to simply add a foot or 2 of fin in a couple of strategic spots, &/or possible replace a severly dended section without cutting.....
Thanks!

Comments

• MikeGMikeG Member Posts: 154
    Try Park Supply of America Inc they carry what should work. It clamps around the bare pipe to add fins.
    The manufacturer is Fin Tek Logic LLC you have to go through a supplier. The stuff ain't cheap, but no cutting or draining. Google their page.
    Blast
  • BlastBlast Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2017
    Thanks .. I now see they have those on Amazon too, just have to figure out what diameter pipe I have ... I think these will be perfect for a couple of small spots that have bare pipe in the baseboard...
    Any pointers on removing or cutting off existing fins, if I also decide to replace a bad fin section using 1 of these?
    My old farmhouse had 3/4" fin tube just about around the whole perimeter. Originally running 170-180 degree water. I had a 9x12 room with fin on two walls. Closing the damper didn't keep it from over heating. I cut some fins off with a pair of aviation snips. I also cover the fins with foil if needed. Running cooler water with a mod con boiler now. Wear gloves when cutting they are sharp. Just cut and twist. I've straightened a lot with a small screwdriver.
    Blast