Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nest Learning Thermostat compatibility with Oil fired boiler

Options
hjohnson27
hjohnson27 Member Posts: 3
I bought a Nest Learning Thermostat model T3007ES but when I contacted customer support they said it wasn't compatible with the two wire configuration of my current thermostat. I have radiator heat and a Burnham RSA series oil fired boiler. I have been reading online that I might be able to run new wires so that the Nest will be compatible. I just need advice... is it not compatible because I don't have a common wire? Or is it a voltage issue?

Comments

• hjohnson27
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Adding pics for further detail...
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    It's mostly the lack of the common wire. Those things eat power -- you should check that the transformer you have can power it OK. If it can, you can run the third wire. There are also some widgets available which are alleged to supply the third wire using the existing two wires; I've not had any experience with them.

You don't say whether you have steam or hot water heat. There seems to be some variance of opinion, but in general Nests -- and other learning thermostats which set the temperature back when the spaces are unoccupied -- don't play well with steam, as steam doesn't like setbacks. They play a little better with hot water -- but there are better ways to control hot water heat which really do save fuel. Nests and their kin are really intended for forced hot air.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    hjohnson27
  • hjohnson27
    Options
    > @Jamie Hall said:
    >
    > You don't say whether you have steam or hot water heat. There seems to be some variance of opinion, but in general Nests -- and other learning thermostats which set the temperature back when the spaces are unoccupied -- don't play well with steam, as steam doesn't like setbacks. They play a little better with hot water -- but there are better ways to control hot water heat which really do save fuel. Nests and their kin are really intended for forced hot air.

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure? I assumed hot water radiator heat? I don't think it's steam. If you bleed radiators that is hot water right?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Yes -- hot water. Don't be embarrassed -- we're sort of nuts about heat around here, but most folks aren't! The Nest will work OK for hot water, though.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    hjohnson27