Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do you use CFD software to ensure air quality?

andreea
andreea Member Posts: 4
edited January 2017 in Indoor-Air Quality
I found these free webinar recordings that teach you how to perform CFD and thermal analysis for HVAC systems simulation, including air quality and contamination control applications. They are really interesting, but I was wondering if the majority of HVAC engineers are using simulation in the design phase (of rooms, buildings, garages, cleanrooms). Or do you mostly rely on manual calculations?

Comments

• BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    The software you mention didn't exist 9 years ago, when I retired. There was a mishmash of regulations and guidelines, and it was further divided on whether you were designing commercial or residential systems. In commercial, you had EPA, OSHA, ASHRAE and special state requirements that were followed for schools. Hospitals had their own set of regulations. In general, most had to do with ventilation; air changes per hour, the level of chemicals that were allowable and particulate levels. OSHA regulations had nothing to do with comfort; they were mostly for the factory floor, and were set so the employee exposed would not be injured. Typical gases and vapors monitored were CO, CO2, methane, organic vapors (solvents), acid gases(chlorine) and ammonia. This area was mostly covered by Industrial Hygienists, Safety Engineers, Mechanical Engineers and Industrial Designers.
    In homes, most contractors asked only about allergies or odor problems. Radon was another concern. The solutions were advanced mechanical filters, electronic air cleaners, humidifiers and ER/HR ventilators. Large custom homes usually had an architect involved, so if any thought was given to designing for IAQ, it was likely by them. It was up to the individual contractor to design for and quote IAQ items.
    On any jobs I was involved in, I used the ASHRAE guidelines, and manual calculations.
    Terran
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    andreea said:

I found these free webinar recordings that teach you how to perform CFD and thermal analysis for HVAC systems simulation, including air quality and contamination control applications. They are really interesting, but I was wondering if the majority of HVAC engineers are using simulation in the design phase (of rooms, buildings, garages, cleanrooms). Or do you mostly rely on manual calculations?

This user has 4 posts all selling the same software....
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    And on the other sites too
    steve
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948