Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HEATING SYSTEM IN BOILER MECHANICAL ROOM IN LARGE NEW HOUSE

I HAVE PART OF A HEATING SYSTEM COMPLETED.
IN BOILER MECHANICAL ROOM, 4 SUPPLY AND 4 RETURN LINES COPPER 1" FEEDING 4 MANIFOLDS IN CLOSETS FEEDING PEX "A" IN FLOORS ON FIRST FLOOR COMPLETED
IN BOILER MECHANICAL ROOM, 4 SUPPLY AND 4 RETURN LINES COPPER 1" FEEDING 4 MANIFOLDS IN CLOSETS FEEDING PEX "A" IN FLOORS ON SECOND FLOOR COMPLETED
IN BOILER MECHANICAL ROOM , 2 SUPPLY AND RETURN LINES COPPER 1" FEEDING 2 ZONES BASEBOARD FOR CELLAR AREA COMPLETED
IN BOILER MECHANICAL ROOM, ONE SUPPLY AND RETURN COPPER 1" FEEDING HOT WATER COIL IN AIR CONDITIONING DUCT WORK FOR ATTIC HEAT
AS INDICATED, ALL ZONE LOOPS ARE IN BOILER MECHANICAL ROOM.
I AM IN NEED OF THE BEST PLUMBING PROTOCOL LAYOUT FOR THE BOILER MECHANICAL ROOM SHOWING:
BOILERS, VALVES ( FLOW CHECK, ISOLATION, DRAIN, BOILER RELIEF ETC.), PUMPS FOR EACH ZONE ( NO ZONE VALVES),
MIXING VALVES FOR RADIANT (LOW TEMP) AND ANY OTHER COMPONENTS TO HAVE THE SYSTEM WORK WELL.
HEAT LOAD : 400,000 BTU ENTIRE HOUSE + 105 GAL INDIRECT DOMESTIC HOT WATER HEATER
I WOULD LIKE TO USE TWO HI EFFIENCY CONDENSING GAS BOILERS BTU SIZES ???

A DIAGRAM TO FOLLOW FOR INSTALLATION SHOWING HOW EVERYTHING IS LAYED OUT TO FUNCTION BEST WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED IF SOMEONE WOULD GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
MANY THANKS
JOE DAMIAN

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    400k must be a very very large new house........

Was there an actual room by room heat loss calculation performed?
    KC_JonesZman
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    edited January 2017
    Gordy said:

400k must be a very very large new house........

Was there an actual room by room heat loss calculation performed?

20,000 sq ft or more, maybe it's made entirely out of glass?

I know sizing wasn't your question, but when a boiler that large is posted on here a lot of us get skeptical about proper sizing and would hate to see someone over size the equipment and regret it for the life of said equipment.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Gordy
    edited January 2017
    To start with we have differing swt requirements for zones. Well we really do not know if, or what is zoned other than possibly the basement, first floor, second floor, and attic

We do not know anything about the radiant zone swt requirements. For that matter the type of radiant assembly. "In floors" could mean anything.

Was there ample baseboard installed to run lower swt?

The boilers Hmm again was there a calculated heat loss done?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited January 2017
    Post what you have including some square footages and type of radiant assembly and you can get assistance here.
    Hopefully your pex "A" is the type designed for heat systems with an O2 barrier.
    Your "CAPSLK" button seems to be on...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • joedamian
    joedamian Member Posts: 4
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT,
    RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS
    1) 1ST AND 2ND FLOORS ALL RADIANT AS INDICATED
    HOUSE PLANS SENT TO VIEGA. THEY ENGINEERED HEAT LOSS FOR EACH ROOM AND DESIGNED PEX LAYOUT ( PEX O2 BARRIER) , TEMP OF WATER AND GPM PER MANIFOLD FEEDING EACH ROOM.
    2) CELLAR LEVEL AND ATTIC HEAT LOAD CALCULATED BY VIEGA.
    3) TOTAL HEAT LOAD 400k
    4 ) BOILER SIZING : AS INDICATED NO BOILER OR BOILERS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED AND IS STILL TO BE DETERMINED.
    IT WOULD SEEM TO ME TWO HIH EFFIENCY CONDENSING BOILERS WOULD BE MY PREFERENCE WORKING IN PARELL AS A PAIR MODULATING TO THE NEED OF THE SYSTEM.
    1ST AND 2ND FLOOR RADIANT LOW TEMP, CELLAR AND ATTIC 180 DEGREE HIGH TEMP, AND INDIRECT 105 GAL 180 DEGREE HIGH TEMP AS A PRIMARY CIRCUIT.
    5) REGARDING ANY OTHER LOADS, THIER TWO ADDITIONAL HOT WATER COILS IN AIR DUCTS( LIVING ROOM AND BED ROOM SOLELY FOR SUPPLIMENTAL HEAT IF NECESSARY.
    UNDERSTANDING , A COMPANY LIKE VIEGA, WHO PROVIDES THE ENGINEERING FREE, STOPS AT THE MANIFOLDS. THEY DO NOT PROVIDE ANYTHING NECESSARY IN BOILER ROOM (LAYOUT, BOILER SIZING CONTROLLS ETC.

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT,
    JOE DAMIAN
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    How many square feet is this house?

Also a side note about internet etiquette, all caps implies yelling and it's tough to read.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Zman
  • Gordy
    What type of radiant assembly? Low temp as in?
  • joedamian
    Sorry about the caps. Did not know it implies yelling.
    The BTU load, it seems, is what is important and is accurate.
    I feel confident in the engineering up to the point of the boiler room as indicated in my previous correspondence.

Floor radiant Hydronic heat requires low temperature ( usually in the vicinity of 100 to 120 Degree water ) in comparison to 180 Degree Water in Baseboard Hot Water Heat which is considered High Temp. in a Heating System.

With all of the above facts any inputs on design which was my inquiry or can anyone guide me where I can get this info.
  • Gordy
    Idronics series from caleffi. They also carry plenty of hydronic parts for your boiler room.

Depending on radiant floor assembly, and load you could see over 120 swt. That's why I asked......
  • Zman
    edited January 2017
    Idronics is a great source, Other manufactures like Tekmar and Triangle tube have sample applications on their websites.
    In the end someone needs to run some numbers to be sure you pipe sizing, boiler sizing and flow rates are correct

It sounds like 2 condensing boilers in parallel would be a good fit. You could then do an automatic mixing valve to mix down the radiant temps when you have a simultaneous high and low temp heat call. The mixing valve could be controlled by the boiler controller so the boiler always runs at the lowest most efficient temp possible.

I am suspicious of the 400k heat load. Can you post your plans and/or the Viega calculations?
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • joedamian
    Gordy ,
    Thanks for your input.
    all of the manifolds (which happen to be caleffi.), pex, and risers from boiler room are in
    No circuit load is over 120 degrees for the Radiant Floor Heat
    everything, as mentioned, is all installed.
    I just need a layout for the boiler room.
    I then can purchase all the items for the boiler room

• Zman
    I don't think you are going to find a design and parts list for your exact system anywhere.
    You may find a drawing that is close. The components for your specific system need to be sized for your design.
    In some areas the local supply houses have folks that will do this if you buy the parts from them.
    Quite a few people have posted their details on this site and received enough info to come up with a design. They usually do research and drawing on their own and get advise on how to optimize.
    Some of the guys on here do design work as part of their business and might give you a complete design and list for a fee.
    Albert Einstein