Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valve Leak Help needed

Options
marcusjh
marcusjh Member Posts: 79
Hi -

I'm attaching a photo of my low water cut off drain valve, which has been steadily leaking... I don't know whether this can be taken apart and fixed or not, and was wondering if anyone could lend some help.

Thank you!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Is it not closing completely?
    Is it marked for its size?
    Sometimes, the valve can be opened and closed in quick succession, to wash any rust particles out.
    If that does not work, teplacing it would be the easiest course of action, although, the boiler will have to be drained.--NBC
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    It's a gate valve. Unless it is an older quality valve, they will leak. You can either put a plug in it, or replace it with a ball valve.
    Rick
  • marcusjh
    marcusjh Member Posts: 79
    Options
    It doesn't close enough to stop the dripping, so I'm guessing there's a gasket or something inside which is failing.
    If I go to replace it, I'm not sure how I'd get it off. It's so long, that twisting it would hit the furnace. Can this be disassembled?
    And it looks like it has pipe dope on the threads - WD40?
    The other side of it says 3/4, and there's an H.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    assuming the discharge threading is good,
    why not just add another valve right under it?
    short nipple and ball valve,
    abandon the gate as open,
    remove it come Summer,
    you might need a shorter pail
    known to beat dead horses
    ZmanGrallert
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    what @neilc said is the way to go. Put a ball valve and a nipple on it and keep the gate valve open for now.

After the heating season remove the old valve. Cut through the valve stem and bonnet so you can unscrew the old valve if you cant get it apart
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Just add a 1" or 2" nipple on the end of that valve and use a hose cap on it, until the heating season is over.