Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Prestige and Tekmar controls

Options
kanecats
kanecats Member Posts: 15
Would the 110 solo TT unit work with my existing tekmar controls which are currently connected to a peerless pinnacle pi-80, or would I have to use the ACV Max controller. Thanks!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Triangle Tube can be controlled by an external 0-10 vdc signal. That is what any newer tekmar modulating controller puts out. Should work, what model?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • kanecats
    Options
    Zman I have a Tekmar 336 hooked up to control my Peerless and indirect hot water tank. It also has the outside temp module. I am looking to replace my Peerless with a reasonably priced, but reliable unit. The Peerless has been a disaster!
  • Zman
    Options
    The 336 is just for the zones. It is usually coupled with another controller for the boiler. Sometimes they are in the same enclosure.
    Albert Einstein
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I would use the 336 to call on the Triangle tube and allow the TT to use it's own outdoor reset. The boiler is very easy to program and with some simple changes can make for some nice savings in fuel usage...
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The Tekmar system, when fully implemented, computes target temperatures based on both the outside temperature and deviations from desired room set points. It uses indoor feedback to adjust the ODR curve. The system also provides zone call start synchronization --this reduces unnecessary boiler cycling. You need to use the ODR module, though, to get the full sweet of capabilities.
  • Zman
    Options
    The 336 to manage the zones coupled with a 420 boiler control is generally how that would be set up. If the t-stats are TN4 compatible you get indoor/outdoor feedback and lot's of other cool features. I have never seen the setup you are describing but it would appear to be less functional.
    Albert Einstein
  • kanecats
    Options
    So I have a 336 with a Universal Reset module 423. The system is hooked up to an outdoor reset and Net4 Tstats. Pics below. Not a bad layout for a girl eh? I just don't understand the electronics side of the boiler and want to make a good choice in a new boiler which can integrate with what I have. I have a similar radiant wall on the 2nd floor which I am phasing in, and have run a tstat wire to the basement, to control the 2nd 336 module for the pumps/circuits upstairs.

• kanecats
    Options
    I should also note that I have a 60 gallon indirect hot water heater attached to the system as well...
  • Zman
    Options
    The 423 is a really nice module. It is capable of managing motorized mixing valves which would allow you to vary the temps of each zone according to your needs.

There should be no problem integrating the Tekmar components you have with the Triangle Tube boiler (or 2).
    You will want to track down the Triangle Tube service bulletin that gives the recommended settings for Tekmar control.

If memory serves, you just need to connect the 2nd 336 to the TN4 bus and the system will recognize it.

I did a similar setup with a radiant wall under a huge window as the 1st stage of a zone and the floor as the second stage. It works really well.

If you are looking for some great reading on controls, check out Carol Fey's books sold on this site. http://astore.amazon.com/heatinghelp-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=7

She's "not bad for a girl" also. :D

Albert Einstein
  • kanecats
    Options
    Awesome Zman! I really need to get a better handle on the controls end. I was hoping to pay a local professional for his time and have him teach me, along with pouring over the paperwork myself. I just don't want to plumb in a boiler and then figuratively stand around not knowing what to do next to get the thing operational. Lol I can only go so long without a shower!

I will definitely check out Carol Fey. I learned so much from Dan Hologan regarding layout and such, but it would be nice to have someone to bounce off questions!
  • Zman
    Options
    Tekmar has great tech support which comes in handy for those last few settings.
    They also have "applications" supplements for many of their products.
    Albert Einstein
  • kanecats
    Options
    My last technician was an Engineer for NASA and scared me a bit by saying the controls are complicated and not for the lay person. I usually don't get intimidated, but I respected his knowledge. I just need to get a little confidence as I have what I think is a pretty good theoretical knowledge. Now I just need to know how the controls are prioritizing the Indirect HW and controlling the pumps. Then adding another wall with a similar configuration should be easy.

I have the Master BR, hall bath, two spare bedrooms and a laundry/hall circuit upstairs. I need to decide whether to put the spare bedrooms, hall bath and laundry/hall on one manifold with actuators, or do two manifolds and pumps. I ran separate Tstat lines to each of the rooms just in case I went the actuator route. The case against the actuators is in the hall bath I have 4 circuits-mirror, floor, towel bar and walls of the shower in 1/2 pex. The bath is small, so the zones will likely be kept low, so as not to over heat the area. (The layout was by another-not so knowledgeable person and not ideal). All other areas have raupanel 3/8 pex 6" on center. The advise I got was to use less pumps and use the 8 circuit manifold. Less pumps make sense, but separate manifolds and mixing valves make more sense to me...

Those kinds of things are what would be awesome to have a go to person for!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,187
    Options
    You might contact the local tekmar rep, they generally offer hands on training seminars throughout the year. Or archived online versions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream