Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wireless thermostats, and zone valves needed

I was at a home that has a 5 zone hot water baseboard heating system, with one thermostat, and no zone valves. I was posting to see if anyone has a suggestion on wireless thermostats that would allow for installing zone valves on each zone, without having to pull wire throughout the home, and into the boiler room. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks to all

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    By splitting this into 5 zones you're going to experience some severe short cycling.
    If you're going to open up the system for 5 zone valves, maybe TRV'S and a newer circ would be better
    steve
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Yes search Honeywell wireless thermostat, I've used the Focus Pro series.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    edited January 2017
    Honeywell makes a hydronic zone manager that claims to reduce cycling by synchronizing zone calls. It's called Aquatrol. Honeywell claims Aquatrol is compatible with common thermostats, including redlink wireless.

Edit: Historically, this system used a special communicating thermostat. I am skeptical that the zone sync functionality would work with regular thermostats.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Honeywell RedLINK with an associated EIM should be indistinguishable from a wired thermostat to the equipment. See page 81 here.
  • Eastman
    @ratio
    ratio said:

Honeywell RedLINK with an associated EIM should be indistinguishable from a wired thermostat to the equipment. See page 81 here.

Yes, but it certainly wouldn't be equivalent to a Honeywell AQ1000 communicating thermostat. I suspect the zone sync functionality is sacrificed if conventional thermostats are used. I hope that's not the case, but I can't find anything in the documentation that addresses zone sync in conjunction with conventional thermostats.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Ah. I thought you were indicating that you were unsure if the Aquatrol could communicate directly to the RedLINK thermostats wirelessly.
  • Eastman
    Do you have a lot of experience with Aquatrol? Does the system provide indoor temperature feedback in addition to ODR via the AQ1000 thermostats?