Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for Rads

Looking for a radiator (ideally around 30 EDR) to replace the oversized monster that came with the house. The one to be replaced is over 70 EDR and, as I'm sure you can guess, does not heat the greatest. Willing to discuss either buying or possibly swapping rad for rad. I live in Whitman, MA, south of Boston. Thanks everybody!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Miscellaneous thoughts... be sure you get the valve and trap (if this is two pipe) which go with the replacement one. Otherwise you will have the interesting project of removing the spuds. You don't want to do that.

Second, is this replacement because you need the space? Otherwise... do you really have to get rid of it? You state that it doesn't heat the greatest. How so? Slow? Doesn't heat all the way across? Do you really want it to? Might be worth finding out why it doesn't, since a replacement radiator is unlikely to work any better.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Peebs
    Peebs Member Posts: 7
    The reason it doesn't heat the greatest is because it is too big for the supply (1" on a counterflow) even being the only rad on that line (and well-vented) it still only gets about halfway hot and behind every other rad in the house. From what I can see, a rad in the hallway off of the kitchen was removed entirely from the system and this beast was put in to take up the slack (that's my theory anyhow).

And that spud comes right out - already fought that battle haha. And, yes, the space would be nice added bonus. I can't say I'd want to be rid of it (I think it could serve as a fine backup) but if someone else could get more use out of it than me they are welcome to it.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    In the situation you describe you are limited by the pipe and the venting. I don't think changing this rad will give you the results you expect. If for example the current rad is 8 sections and only heats half way and you replace it with one half the size that heats fully you will still have the same output. If you are well vented and there aren't any other issues you are basically heating at max capacity. Changing the size of the rad won't change that.

Is the pipe feeding the rad insulated in the basement? Have you eliminated all other possibilities? If a rad was removed you may have to reinstall it or upsize the pipe on the current rad to get more heat.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Peebs
    There's a misunderstanding here and after reading through I see that it is my own doing. I'm not overly concerned about the level of heating in my kitchen. The space factor mixed with a little bit of stubborn perfectionism are to blame. As I said in the previous comment, I'm not really looking to be rid of the original radiator as I have another room it could work well in with a proper sized connection. But I also wouldn't rule out a rad for rad exchange or something of the like if it ultimately came down to that.

To answer your questions:
    All pipes are insulated
    I could potentially change the pipes as I have access but the level of heat isn't the issue versus getting the right tool for the job and freeing up a rad whose potential may be fully met either elsewhere in my own home or someone else's.

Sorry for the confusion here, that was my fault. Short story, I'm looking for a better fit for the supply currently available.

Thanks again, everybody
  • Peebs
    Hatterasguy the kitchen temperature is good. The rad itself doesn't get totally hot regardless of the scenario but the heat it does put out takes care of the room's needs comfortably.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Every once and a while perfection can and will work against you. You are getting as much heat out of this radiator as anything smaller you might install. If it is keeping the room comfortable, why change it out? If it is not comfortable, consider a change to the supply piping. If you want smaller, for the sake of smaller and you think it might be better used elsewhere in the house, is there a smaller one, in-house that can be swapped? I'm not trying to change your mind, I just don't understand the problem. How large is your boiler? If it's already over-sized, reducing this boiler will only contribute to that issue. It's like trading a non problem for what might be a real problem with boiler short cycling more often.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Velocity plumbing in Quincy has some radiators in work shop...tested and ready to roll...all are primed and ready to go. What measurements are you looking for...617 938 4471...Tommy is his name..A great young man."..
  • Peebs
    J A thanks, I will check that out after the holiday.

Fred, I am not looking to reduce the size of the boiler. I'm looking to take an oversized radiator off of a run - so no down-firing etc to worry about. I would like to get the correct EDR radiator for this room. I do have a smaller EDR radiator but all other rooms are comfortable so I don't want to mess with that.

I just want a smaller radiator that will give me the same amount of heat I am getting out of half of this current one. I'm sorry if I have confused people with how I have explained it. The system is fine, quiet and comfortable and the heat is even. If I don't need a behemoth in my kitchen to get the same amount of heat from a smaller radiator it would be a plus.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    @Peebs , you didn't confuse anyone. I understood what you want to do. My point was/is that when you reduce the size of a radiator, if the boiler is already larger than the connected radiator EDR, you are making that boiler even more over sized and that can lead to some issues at the boiler, like short cycling. What is the Sq. Ft. of steam on the rating plate of the boiler? You would be wise to compare that to the total Radiator EDR. It is a simple task to calculate the total Radiator EDR.
  • Peebs
    I see what you mean now. Sadly my boiler has no plate or any other identifying markers on it. I posted here some time ago to try and ID it but we didn't very far at all in that respect.