Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone valves - trianco heatmaker - where are they located?

Options
Hello everyone. I am a novice!
I have a trianco hw m2 series boiler.
Two zones. one of the zones has head constantly coming up, even with the thermostat off. The other zone is fine.

I suspect the zone valve for that area is stuck open. I cannot tell from the manual where the zone valves are located. Are then in the unit, or outside the unit? and how can I physically identify them? Are they easy or hard to unbolt and replace? is this something I can do myself without "breaking" something?

This issue started today. I've made sure both thermostats are off. In one zone, the head stops coming up into the baseboard (our unit uses gas, the hot water flows into the baseboards). The other zone, with the thermostat off, heats up and continues till the room gets into the high 70s low 80s, ie, just keeps coming up.

I've hit the off switch in the boiler closet. Waited an hour. Heat obviously came down in entire house (condo unit, one level). Turned switch back on, unit cycled, came on line, heat in both zones, one zone was fine, stopped heat when temp in that zone hit 70f per the thermostat. Other zone, hit 70, did not turn orr, continued upwards. Even with that thermostat off, heat continued to come up.

I live i Peekskill NY, anyone recommend an independent repair person?

Thoughts, tips, help?

Thanks,
Nelson Davis

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The zone valves wont be in the boiler. They were installed by the contractor that installed it. If they are not apparent near the boiler, they are probably located on the end of one of your baseboard units under the end cover.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • nelsonsdavis
    nelsonsdavis Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I found them. They are two and they are outside the boiler along the pipes. Now what?
  • nelsonsdavis
    Options
    Okay, found the zone valves. Assuming one was jammed in the open position, took a very tiny hammer and gently taped on both (neither was marked to indicate which zone). Taped on one, nada, taped on the other, the noise I heard stopped. I assume the noise was the water being circulated through the valve based on demand. Once I taped on the valve, it shut (I assume, or I broke something, I hope the valve got unstuck and closed).

Thermostat in living room area was set at 68, room temp was 78. When the baseboards (hopefully) cool down and no heat is coming up, I will have someone turn that thermostat up and I will listen in boiler closet to see if that valve opens and hot water circulates. Heat in other zone works as it should via thermostat.

Am I trouble shooting this correctly? Any tips?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What type of valves are they?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • nelsonsdavis
    edited December 2016
    Options
    honeywell V8043E1012 motorized valve.