Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell VS8420E Millivolt Gas Control Valve

Please Help! I need this valve or an equivalent but can't find it anywhere. I've contacted both the fireplace manufacturer and Honeywell and several online suppliers. To add difficulty to this process, Honeywell stamped the word "OBSOLETE" in big red letters on every page of their pdf manual online, obscuring valuable information about the valve. The fireplace is Vermont Castings "Majestic" and includes a blower/fan. In the original configuration, the fan was controlled by a wall switch and the millivolt valve by another.

Comments

• donzoh1
    donzoh1 Member Posts: 2
    Label on the valve includes the following: "VS8420E 2038, Vented, Reg 3.5 Hi, 1.7 Lo Nat, Reg 10.0 Hi (unknown) 3 Lo LP, 30 mV Power Unit, Max Temp 175 F. Controls are the main Valve Knob with On/Pilot/Off and the flame height control with Lo/Hi and the Pilot Adj screw. Gas connection is straight through with 3/8 threaded. Three electrical connection tabs are TPTH, TP, and TH. Two small tubes lead to the pilot light.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    That is a Powerpile self generating valve. Are you sure the valve is bad? Have you taken millivolt readings?

You may have to go to the unit manufacturer as it may be propriotory to them
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The replacement for that valve is VS8420E-2113. You might try any fireplace store as those valves are used on a lot of equipment.
  • MSkipp
    MSkipp Member Posts: 1
    I am also looking for this valve but a slightly different part number, RP Honeywell VS8420E 2020 for Vermont Castings Stardance Natural Vent Gas Heater. Would you happen to know the replacement part number?
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    Hearth & Home Technologies bought them out. If you can find contact info. for them (they love stealth mode) they should be able to provide you with a suitable replacement using a S.I.T. NOVA 820 valve and pilot assy. Those stoves are a PIA to work on as everything is underneath. Best to disconnect stove and set it up on a bench to save your sanity. Requires re-routing the burner mixer tube and supply. The tappings in the cast iron base don't always work. I've had to make custom brackets before. I'll pray for you but you do need to get one from HHT so the pilot dropout rate is matched (30 sec.).
    MSkipp