Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what wifi thermostats work best for steam

Options
gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
hi Guys- im getting lots of requests for wifi thermostats. Which ones work well with steam? i cant seem to gleam that info from honeywell.
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ignore this if your looking for a wireless model - I should have read the question more carefully!

In 2010 I installed this thermostat

Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day Programmable Thermostat

It works well on my single pipe steam system and has had no problems. You can't select cph as such but setting it to gravity hot water seems to work fine for me.

It was well under $40 at Amazon, I'd deem it a good value for the cost but I'm sometimes known to squeak when I walk.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    steamhouse
  • gerry gill
    Options
    thanks Bob
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    The Honeywell 8000 or a higher end variant ( 9000 IAQ , etc. ). I prefer the separate internet gateway just for the reliability of connecting and set up ( especially on someone else's network infrastructure or hardware in general ). These stats have the adjustable cycles per hour feature and intelligent recovery.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    The Nest may work very well with Steam, I just couldn't get past the fact it hard froze during the install setup. Mine was a second gen so maybe they fixed that, I donno.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    learning_steam_NJ
  • LionA29
    LionA29 Member Posts: 255
    Options
    I have the Honeywell 6580 and it works good. If you have a 2-wire thermostat, Honeywell will need 3-wires Had to run an extra wire for C terminal that brings 24v to the thermostat.
    Several persons said the Nest is easy to install and works with the 2-wire from old thermostat.
    Might be a better choice for easy installation.
    Good luck @gerry gill
  • gerry gill
    Options
    thanks for the info. I will look into those.

LionA29MilanD
  • NewbieInQueens
    NewbieInQueens Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I will throw in my thoughts as a homeowner and have 3 wifi thermostats in 3 different locations, all running steam.

All of them are between $200 - $250, There are also very expensive Redlink Honeywells that I did not want to get into.

On all 3 of them I have turned off all "learning" features and set at a constant temperature during the day, with a minimal setback at nighttime.

The Honeywell wifi
    http://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/products/thermostat/wi-fi-smart-thermostat-rth9580

Is a solid choice, it has worked perfectly the past few winters, no downtime.
    -Solid performer
    -No Runtime history
    -Requires 3 wires
    -No remote sensors

The Nest
    Has been pretty solid recently, but the first 2 years I had it their product team was sending out updates in the middle of the winter that would make some thermostats go offline and stop working. You have no choice to opt out of the updates that Nest pushes out.
    -Works ok
    -Daily usage report
    -Can use 2 wires only
    -No remote sensor
    -Tech support is by FAR the worst of any company I've dealt with

Ecobee 3
    I recently put this one in with my new boiler. It is by far my favorite. Where I previously had to worry about where I mounted my thermostat, with this one I can install remote sensors anywhere I want (within 45ft) and use those remote sensors to either run the boiler or purely informational. The online portal is great allowing me download all the runtime data in excel and get data every 5 minutes
    -Remote sensor capability
    -Online portal with lots of reporting data
    -Requires 3 wires, but they sell a 2 wire gizmo that supposedly lets you use 2 wires only

LionA29Koan
  • gerry gill
    Options
    thanks Newbieinqueens..thats excellent feedback.

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,625
    Options
    Honeywell has a demo account in their Wi-Fi app. I keep it on my phone to show prospective customers. (Also my brother's place, but that's just for fun.)
  • Aveeight
    Aveeight Member Posts: 29
    Options
    I just installed an Ecobee and so far its great. The install was a breeze and they have this clip on set up which makes running the wires easy and maintenance super easy. The remote thermostat is a great feature for steam I found, since my first floor heats a little uneven. I had a Honeywell for years (the first gen one that allowed for a wireless adapter) and that was also good, I assume they have only gotten better.

I've read (never seen) that the Nest can go a little weird since it tries to learn from your heats behavior (not sure I understand that). Seemed overly complicated to me.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The new Honeywell T-Series covers a wide a range of models (all the way from a non-programmable single stage up through two different Lyric WiFi models) on a common backplate. The TH6220U and above support a wired remote sensor (either indoor or outdoor, though not both.) Contractor models come with a longer warranty than retail models.

We just got one to play with and have found that they have independent CPH settings (from 1-12) for each heating and cooling stage.
    learning_steam_NJ
  • gerry gill
    Options
    Thats really what i was looking for. Adjustable cycle rate. I knew the Nest didn't really have one for steam, so i was wondering about the others. Thanks everyone for your input, as it really did help. This concept seems to be the latest rave for customer desires. I'm not much of a techie, or as i like to say 'there is a reason i work on steam', so your input is greatly appreciated.

LionA29
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,921
    Options
    Gerry. I picked up a few Old style (mercury ) T 87s at a yard sale...IN ORIGINAL packaging....COVETING them...ha ha. Mad Dog
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Where's the jealous button?
  • gerry gill
    Options
    Mad Dog said:

Gerry. I picked up a few Old style (mercury ) T 87s at a yard sale...IN ORIGINAL packaging....COVETING them...ha ha. Mad Dog

i'm jealous too...can't beat liquid metal :D

• Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    Options
    can you adjust the CPH on an Ecobee3? Or do you wing it by setting the temp differential?
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Honeywell Vision Pro Redlink thermostat with a redlink gateway.
    The Ecobee SmartSi may work for you.
    If you require a common wire but only have 4 wires (thermostat performs AC & hat functionality) Ecobee has a 5 to 4 wiring adapter that may be of help.
    :NYplumber:
    Koan
  • gerry gill
    Options
    Guess i had best get my dinosaur butt into the modern era and learn about some of these gadgets..thanks everyone for helping out and pointing me in a direction to investigate.

• hboogz
    hboogz Member Posts: 113
    Options
    If anyone has the schematic on how to wire the Honeywell red link to the transformer or the like. I'd buy you a virtual beer!

Harry.
  • ratio
    Options
    Ummm...

What, exactly, do you have?

• hboogz
    Options
    Well, right now I have a pro 4000 connected to the transformer and then all the controls wired to a single switch at the boiler. I would imagine the basic boiler electrical setup.

I am interested in a Honeywell red link and would love some help or a diagram on how to actually wire it correctly.
  • Koan
    Options
    @Aveeight , @NewbieInQueens

Was hoping one of you may know this:
    Koan said:

can you adjust the CPH on an Ecobee3? Or do you wing it by setting the temp differential?

Thanks!
  • ratio
    Options
    @hboogz, which RedLINK stat are you considering? The notation on the terminal strips of all modern Honeywell thermostats should match up, just a matter of swapping like to like. The lesser RedLINK stats can (5000, 6000 series) can run on batteries, but IIRC the 8000 and certainly the 9000 series need to have a wire landed on the "C" terminal to provide continuous power to the thermostat. If that wire is present on your 4000 stat you should have no problem, just use caution that you don't short out the transformer by letting the red wire (landed on the "R" terminal, or possibly "Rc") touch any other wires or metal. The RedLINK internet gateway just plugs in to the wall for power & an Ethernet cable to your internet device for connectivity. It takes about five minutes to set it up from start to finish, the instructions walk you through it.
  • hboogz
    Options
    @ratio thanks! No change or wiring at the transformer I assume ?
  • ratio
    Options
    If you have the requisite wire landed on the "C" terminal, nothing at all at the transformer. If you do not have a wire landed on the "C" terminal, you will have to look carefully at the stat wire, to see if another conductor is lurking under the jacket of the wire; you could possibly need to pull a new wire up to the stat. Assuming the stat you are considering requires constant power.
  • hboogz
    Options
    @ratio awesome info. Thanks. !
  • NewbieInQueens
    NewbieInQueens Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Koan said:

@Aveeight , @NewbieInQueens

Was hoping one of you may know this:

Koan said:

Thanks!
    @Koan

Sorry don't know the answer to that one. I checked my settings through the web browser and there is no mention of it. Perhaps on the unit itself, but I don't have easy access to it.
    Koan
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Is this a wifi conversation or a wireless?

In any case the Honeywell 6000 series has adjustable cph and comes wifi (you need 3 wires) or wireless (you will need the red link gateway for internet).

Obviously there are more expensive Honeywell thermostats

We did a wireless this past week and it occurred to me the Honeywell relay didn't have a good 24v output to power the wireless interface board. We installed an sr501 to make it work.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    LionA29Koan
  • Koan
    Options
    @NewbieInQueens

Thank you - getting ready to upgrade thermostats for a 2 pipe Hoffman Vapor system to which we will be adding central air next year. Finally got the boiler running well but it was short cycling bc of the thermostat an old Honeywell Cronotherm T-8090a. Adjusted the anticipator to 1.2 and working well now
  • Koan
    Options
    I think that thermostat is from 1969!
    MilanD
  • Jerry Withers
    Jerry Withers Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I installed an Ecobee 3 Lite and I am very happy with it so far. I am looking forward to analyzing the data once it has been running for a month.
    KoanLionA29
  • Jesse_6
    Jesse_6 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    To have gen 2 nest with 1 pipe steam. I haven't tried others but I am happy with results I've had.
  • Jerry Withers
    Options
    My Ecobee 3 Lite lasted 1 week before it stopped working. It would call for heat, but not actually turn on the boiler. After having a heating contract our for 4 hours it came down to a defective thermostat. I am now waiting for a replacement.
  • Jerry Withers
    Options
    I got a replacement for this back in January and since then it has been working very well. Now I just need to focus on replacing my boiler.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    It took someone four hours to figure out a thermostat wasn't closing the contacts?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    Options
    But the thermostat said it was calling for heat!

I've been bit by that myself. <sigh>

• ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:

But the thermostat said it was calling for heat!

I've been bit by that myself. <sigh>

This is why people need to bust out the meter as soon as there's a problem.

I've got power going to the tstat, but none coming back, why? Next step go up and meter out the tstat.

Confirm findings by shorting R to W to fire the boiler up.

I use my meter more than almost any other tool when it comes to troubleshooting electronics or electrical problems.