Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ask TOH story on water heaters

Saw Richard's story a few weeks ago. HO wants to replace tank with tank since his existing in an unfinished basement is getting older. Installer wrote in magic marker installed in 2006. Richard looks at the MODEL # and sees it ends in NOV03 so tells the guy it was made in 2003 and sat somewhere 3 years. You can see an 06 in the serial #. I wouldn't boot a non leaking tank in an old basement at 10 years.

Anyway, then he brings the new one in and it has a sticker showing a 10 year warranty. Richard says he's getting a better heater since it is a 10 year so will last longer. Horsehockey.

Then back in the shop with Kevin, Richard admits the tanks are the same, just someone paid for a longer warranty. Those extra 4 years aren't a whole lot less than the whole heater!

Gotta say I wasn't to impressed with the story.

Comments

• Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    When I saw that episode, I wondered the same thing, how many people replace water heaters proactively? ALSO I saw the original installers sticker, it's someone whose name I recognized all the way from Kansas City as being on this site....

makes you wonder how much input Richard has vs the "producers"
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    At one time, the 10/12 year tanks came with two anode rods. Not sure if that's still the case.
    rick in Alaska
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    State offers a warranty upgrade.... pay x$ more and they do give you the extra anode to install in the hot water tapping. Mail in the registration card w/ the anode and Viola... 10 year warranty. I offer it to just about every customer.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Ask TOH isn't filmed only in the Boston market. They roam around the country.

I've worked with them numerous times here in Colorado. I think my wrist actually made it on film if memory serves me.

Rich told me I wouldn't be featured on screen, which is fine. Didn't really expect to, but it really hurt when he told me I have a face made for radio...
    B)
    ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    Harvey RamerSWEI
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I wouldn't say Richard is a models face
    Mark EathertonkcoppIronman
  • gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170

I wouldn't boot a non leaking tank in an old basement at 10 years.

I saw that episode too. I honestly don't think it's strange for first time homeowners (as these people were) to look at the age of equipment in their new home and think about replacements. Especially when everybody harps about the short life span of fired tanks nowadays. As a homeowner, I try to be proactive and replace before failure whenever possible.

I would rather they had spent the show time on one of the new heat pump/electric hybrids though. The new technology is what I find interesting not watching Richard perform plumbing 101. Last weeks episode with the washer & dryer replacement was pretty lame IMO.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Me and my neighbors, drawing from the same aquifer, get to enjoy a 30 year life for tank water heaters.

I do get some proactive replacements, but most wait till it quits working or starts leaking and then demand your attention right now!

Try as I might, I can't seem to sell any of those nifty devices that shut off the water in the case of a leak. Doesn't make sense, but then again, I never bothered with one either. Maybe this falls under the old adage, "Don't trouble, trouble until trouble, troubles you".
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I'm afraid TOH has become a show that concerns itself with buying a house for 400k and then putting an infinite amount of money into it to turn it into a palace. The days of seeing something a regular homeowner could consider doing (or having done) are gone, it's strictly for those who are very well heeled.

I will say Ask TOH does look at realistic problems a homeowner can tackle.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Of all the years Rich has been on TOH I have never seen him ream a piece of copper .
    bob
    Hilly