Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multi-Meters

Hi Guys,
Just wondering what you guys are using for multi meters right now. I need get 2 or 3 for the service trucks, would like something with a magnet for attaching to boilers, and something that reads micro-amps. Any help greatly appreciated!.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I own a number higher-end Flukes, but if I were shopping new I'd probably look at the 116 for basic field tech use. They sell a combo kit with the 323 clamp meter -- definitely want that capability if your guys are doing compressor work.
    Tinman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    My daily meter today is a Fluke 376. I use a UEI microamp adapter for microamps, so I can easily unplug from the flame circuit without killing the burn. I also have on the truck a UEI 389 and a Fluke 116 that I use often.

And then there are the specialty meters...I can quit any time, I swear!

SWEI
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    auto ranging Fluke..cant go wrong...works excellent with newer tech's as well..
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I used Flukes for most of my working life, I have 3ea 8060a's down in the basement and one model 77. You can't buy a better meter than a Fluke.

I have mixed feelings about auto ranging meters. They are very handy but not as fast as a standard DVM where you set the range.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SWEI
    I loved my 8060A. The dB, Hz, and relative functions were unheard of in a portable meter at the time.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Simpson 260 w the rolltop. : )
    Steve Minnich
    SWEIChrisJ
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Cant beat a Fluke 902. Also have an Amprobe meter nice meter but the autoranging drives me nuts, don't use it much
  • SWEI
  • BobC
    @Stephen Minnich I have a 260 that was given me for my birthday when I was a freshman in HS. I have a rolltop case for the newer 270 but have to be careful with it because it's a bit fragile (made of breakalite).

The Simpsons were always my favorite because you could switch polarity on ohms - a great way to check caps and chokes.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Still using my Fluke 179 and Simpson 260 7P.
    You're not going to go for a Simpson for the trucks, but the 179 is a nice meter.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    edited November 2016
    @ChrisJ I also have a Heathkit Triplett clone that has a really rugged case but lacks the ohms polarity switching. It has a taut band movement so it's rugged but I don't know if I'd want it bouncing around in the back of a service truck. I also have a FET AC VTVM version of that meter that is really a great meter.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited November 2016
    If I was a tech that went from job site to job site, I'd probably want a Fluke scope, but that's me.

There are times having a scope can make troubleshooting so much easier, or sometimes, even possible at all.

The other problem is, I love buying tools. I'm also as much a Fluke fan as I am a Yellowjacket fan. Not sure if that's a good thing, probably not.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SWEI
  • BobC
    I have two scopes on my workbench. One is a Tek 2230 100mhz storage scope, the other is a Hitachi 35mhz 2 channel analog scope.

A scope can definitely give you more information. People don't realize you don't need 0.05% accuracy for most of the work you do on electronics but you really do want to see any noise that is sitting on that 5v supply.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    I imagine most current meters are, but make sure it is a true RMS. You need that to read trial relay outputs accurately.

A dual temperature attachment is also nice for troubleshooting hydronics.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    I use the Fluke 902 for most general purpose work. I keep an 87 in the truck for the few times that go beyond the range of the 902. The new 902 does sampling and connects to a phone app. I was also looking at Flir meters at an electrical supplier I frequent , I may break down and get one in the near future.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller