Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shutting off radiator

I live in a 3 family house with tenants on the top floor, we have oil / steam heat,
one pipe system, the tenants has 5 radiators on their floor and keeps 1 off all the
time, along with having window AC units left in windows, they complain that it is
"Chilly" sometimes and I tell them to turn on the radiator and wrap the AC's.
They insist that's not the problem,we provide the legal amount of heat and I'm sure
sometimes it might be "chilly" and sometimes it's too warm, who's right ? aren't they losing 20 o/o of heat distribution.thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I very much doubt that you have a heat problem. I imagine you have a tenant problem...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    If they have some of the heat turned off, how can that not be the problem? I agree with Jamie.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Yes you have a tenant problem, but I would make sure your system is well balanced. It is possible that heat arrives late in their area, but having arrived is too hot for them.
    Temperature setbacks can exaggerate this problem, and require a higher temperature to be set for the occupied portions of the day. You can use some inexpensive wireless indoor/outdoor thermometers to check their temperature. Often when people see the thermometer reading, they no longer feel cold.--NBC
    heatinghelpfor3
  • heatinghelpfor3
    heatinghelpfor3 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions good idea, can anyone recommend a wireless indoor / outdoor thermometer, thanks again