Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulator pump replacement

donedeal
donedeal Member Posts: 36
I'm investigating a loud buzzing noise from this circulator pump. It seems to be sending hot water out fine otherwise. I have family staying in the basement though soon and it's quite a racket when on. From what I've read it appears to installed with the motor vertically when it should be horizontal. Could this alone be the issue if there's debris clogging or does it more likely need replacement?

I'd like to replace it myself but with the flanges in their position I don't see how this can be mounted horizontally. Is it possible to change the positioning of those flanges without draining the system?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    That is a wet rotor pump and it needs to have fluid from the system at the motor top lubricate the bushing. Mounted vertical they may not get fluid up top.

Those isolation valve flanges will not rotate but you can buy circulators with rotated flanges or find a brand with the flanges in the other orientation.
    Some of the newer circulators have flanges that rotate on the pump body.

Good time to assure it is the correct size for the application also.

Looks like that black pipe may be in the way, is it pex so you move it out of the way?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • donedeal
    Yeah just pex. How do I make sure it's correct size for the job? It's pumping to a 150 sq foot ceramic bathroom floor and prob 800-900 sq ft cement basement floor.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    Donedeal,
    If the existing circulator worked before, then the one HotRod suggested is identical except that the flange orientation is rotated to match what you have installed.
    We have also introduced a new version of the 007 that has a universal flange so that it can be installed with either orientation of the existing flanges.
    Dave H
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    donedeal said:

Yeah just pex. How do I make sure it's correct size for the job? It's pumping to a 150 sq foot ceramic bathroom floor and prob 800-900 sq ft cement basement floor.

I'm guessing maybe one loop in the bathroom, maybe 150- 200', then 3 or 4 loops in the basement? Probably only need 2 gpm or less, think small circulator. Maybe a Taco 005 or Grundfos 15-10. We need to know more about the radiant and boiler piping to be sure.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • donedeal
    I just placed an order for a new pump with the rotated flanges that I'll put in soon, thanks guys. Currently with the noisy pump installed incorrectly there is wide temp difference at my manifold readouts from supply 130 F to return 90 F. At my other manifolds which are run by separate circulators there is less than 5 F differences. Could I attribute this temp difference to the pump or do I have bigger issues on my hands? I guess I'll find out after install but wondering if I should get a contractor on board for it.
  • donedeal
    Also the new one I ordered has IFC where as my current one does not appear to have that. Will this make the install any more complicated?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    donedeal said:

Also the new one I ordered has IFC where as my current one does not appear to have that. Will this make the install any more complicated?

Nope.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • donedeal
    So is it just harmless redundancy if I already have a flow control valve installed ?
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    It's not install in the pump when it ships. So if you already have one you don't need to snap and into the flange