Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New house with radiant system

I bought a house over the summer with a radiant system. DHW is supplied by a tankless heater. A natural gas boiler provides heat for the radiant system. It looks to be a closed system akin to the drawing here: http://www.houseneeds.com/learning-center/hydronic-boilers-learning/fill-and-purge-hydronic-boilers-4

There is a backflow/pressure reducer/ball valve (in that order) which looks to provide water into the radiant heating system (and keep it there). The ball valve is closed. Does the ball valve need to be open? I'm not sure if the valve was closed for the summer or if the valve is only used when adjusting the water in the radiant system.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    It depends. Is there a Low Water Cut Off installed? Electrical/electronic device connected to the near boiler piping that will shut down the burner or pump/burner in the event of a low water condition.
    Steve Minnich
    ZmanGordy
  • running_81620
    running_81620 Member Posts: 4
    There is no Low Water Cutoff I can see. The supply runs through the valve in question and joins a pipe with the thermostat below and the manifold for the in-floor heating above the junction the pipes meet.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Can you post some pics of your boiler and its piping from about 10' away? If you don't have a LWCO and your water supply is truly closed, that needs to change quickly.
    Steve Minnich
  • running_81620
    I've attached 2 photos. Thank you.

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    No LWCO I can see. I would open that valve, keep an eye on the pressure, it should be around 12-15 psi typically. The pressure gauge is located on the left side of the boiler and likely does pressure and temperature. Make sure you are looking at the correct scale, a lot of gauges do both PSI and KPa for pressure. Watch out for creep, make sure pressure doesn't rise above 15 PSI immeadiately, but check it again in an hour or so to make sure. If the pressure does not rise, then you are fine, leave the valve open. If it does, get a pro out there to change out the pressure reducing valve (also called a boiler feeder).
    Tinmanrick in Alaska
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Looks like you are filling the boiler with soft water? How hard is the incoming water?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • running_81620
    Opened the valve and turned up the thermostats in the house. System is working fine. PSI at the boiler is at 17 and steady. Is this an ok operating pressure? The pressure reducer is tagged for 12-15.

The softener does get the water first. I can't say why they choose that method. The house is 20 years old, if that matters.

Thanks for all the guidance!