Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STEAM takes on another meaning

Educators have been promoting the opportunities and importance of STEM Science, Technology, Engineering, Math. They are encouraging the young people to concentrate on what keeps America great. We lead the world when we are innovators, and these are the skills and education required.

Rhode Island School of Design has added Art to the Stem.

Pass this on to the young-in looking for a career path. Turn off the reality shows and the avoid quest for instant wealth and fame promised by the reality talent shows.

Ellen saw Buzz Aldrin speak this past weekend and at age 86 he is a tireless advocate of STEAM.

www.risdsteam.org
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
SWEI

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    My Fiance is a newly minted master's degree holding public school art teacher, and this is quickly becoming the next best thing. People are starting to realize that art DOES matter, and it impacts how well you do at all the other STEM stuff too. Who knows, maybe they will even start to open up some more trade schools too.....
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    This program started at in my kids school district this year. They have trains all over the school.
    Our superintendent is strongly oriented towards hands on learning, the trades and technology as it relates to everything, this program was his next logical step.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    delta T
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    As a younger man, I fell for the argument made years ago, that unless it could make money and support itself, whatever it was had no inherent value. The arts suffered greatly at the hands of this type of thinking and, in my opinion, we are all worse off for allowing it to happen.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    KC_Jonesdelta TGordy
  • KC_Jones
    Creativity takes many forms, art being one of them. If we stifle any form of creativity we are losing.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Mandelta T
  • KC_Jones
    Also here is a picture of some of the teachers in the school district getting into the swing of things in the metal shop. Oh yeah ESAB has a plant in our town so they sponsor this program...NICE.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    GordyLionA29
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,020
    They look excited.

Nice of ESAB to step up. It looks like a clean, well equipped shop.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    We would never have something like this if it wasn't for the"A" in STEAM.
    bob
    Canucker
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Uhg. That kind of thing just seems to make the job harder than it needs to be. Form follows function. Art in a trade takes different forms: skilled, clean & pretty installation; safe, efficient, reliable operation. Gingerbread is too much like lipstick for me.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    @ratio there's room for both. I appreciate a clean, minimalist install. No wasted space or material, just looks sharp. But I like the idea with the curved pipe and colours. The little bit of flash adds to it, in my opinion.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • ratio
    Yah, I didn't mean to sound critical. But I'm quite sure that our sales critters and crack guesstimators think that it's quicker and easier to do it that way, and then I'm to blame if it takes longer than was promised. :/
  • hot_rod
    ratio said:

Yah, I didn't mean to sound critical. But I'm quite sure that our sales critters and crack guesstimators think that it's quicker and easier to do it that way, and then I'm to blame if it takes longer than was promised. :/

Sounds like you should have the estimators do a handful of installed :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ratio
    Oh, if only I could get through to them:
    Not all customers are our customers
    The cynic in me feels it is related to commissions paid on gross sales rather than net profits. But by golly, I'm going to do a bang-up job of it. No matter how long or expensive it is to do it right.
  • hot_rod
    Sounds like you have the right attitude, and do right by the customer.

Some times you need to fire your employer if they don't appreciate the service and expertise that you provide their customers.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Canuckerdelta TSWEI
  • ratio
    Oh, they do appreciate me. I get tapped for all the problembest jobs, and only rarely do I need specific orders not get thrown off a job. I just keep hoping that Big Daddy will get tired of paying customers to do their work.