Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LGB boiler venting

Options
Smith19
Smith19 Member Posts: 108
Hello all -
Does anyone know if the Weil MClain LGB gas boiler can be vented with a barometric damper? I would think not - however I have seen many atmospheric water heater installs with a barometric. Current job is incredibly tight - the LGB's large vent hood is contacting the wall behind.

Cheers!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Yes, it can. Code compliance and warranty would be in question for most installers, but with proper training and a good understanding of the physics you can make the call.
  • Smith19
    Options
    Anywhere I could find examples of a good install in that fashion?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    @captainco and @Tim McElwain both have numerous examples and may be willing to share.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    It is completly illegal in Canada. The manufacturer will not honour the warranty as you will have modified the product and uncertified it.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    @Smith19 Are you in Canada?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Smith19
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

@Smith19 Are you in Canada?

No, so I should be okay for now.
    ChrisJ
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 793
    Options
    I have helped contractors modify hundreds of Weil-Mclain LBG type boilers and many other brands. We have talked to Weil-Mclain engineers and they won't openly accept it because they realize too many contractors aren't smart enough to do this modification. In 1993 I did a field test with the top field engineer from AGA Labs, when they were still the certifying lab of all gas appliances. I know there were at least four of these boiler in a school with drafthoods. In this case, the boilers were poisoning school kids even though they were installed according to manufacturers specs. They were modified with barometrics, under their observation, and spill switches were added, The unsafe condition was rectified 100% and the boiler were now safer than original design. AGA wrote a report that stated barometrics are a viable replacement for the traditional drafthood. I added "When installed by a properly trained technician." I have attached a drawing of the three ways we have modified them in the field. If this doesn't help, let me know. Oh yes, on a new installation it is rare that an inspector will allow it.
    As Timmie know I teach this coast to coast and he addresses this at his classes and in Canada to keep people alive. Apparently that is not on most manufacturers agenda. I can e-mail the AGA Field Study report from 1993.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    @captainco you don't happen to have a copy of the AGA report that you could share do you?
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 793
    Options
    Gee, I forgot. I think this is readable. Some of the pictures aren't clear, but there were some LGB