Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any Water Stopper Tools for Soldering for sale?

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
With the increase of compression copper fittings, does anyone have a Stopper Tool they want to sell?
I have noticed comments about not using a torch more and more frequently. Would consider a full 1/2 to 2" set.
Might have a project coming where this would be handy.

Comments

• SknowSurfer
    SknowSurfer Member Posts: 1
    Options
    One Loaf of white bread, for sale :D
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    I've heard of using bread.

What's a water stopper tool? The pipe freezer?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Expandable internal pipe plug connected to and operated by a 12-16" rod. Cut pipe, insert plug into pipe a few inches, tighten plug with wrench. Slip ball valve or straight fitting over end of pipe and solder a dry fitting.
    There are various clams of how much pressure they will hold. I would just need them for the low dripping/flow.
    1 1/2" copper takes a lot of bread and it is potable water in hospital and nursing home.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    The Jet Swet is a handy tool for small sizes. I think a plumber out in Vegas invented this.

Hodes Supply once had small mineral oil capsules. It worked similar to bread, but less mess :) Slide them in the pipe upstream from the repair, then heat right at the
    to dissolve it.

Or a freeze cuff.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    spoon22
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Thanks, Hot Rod. I have shopped around before the initial posting and thought someone might have a set gathering dust on the top shelf as most are embracing the Pro-Press etc.

I might only use them 10 to 12 times and then retire the torch and it's operator. Should have brought them 30 years ago. These were luxuries that I assumed the shoestring budget would never tolerate. But thinking of the time wasted chasing water or trying to boil water while soldering, then pressurize to discover a leak and start over again. The ROI would have panned out ........but when you are young and dumb....you don't need no stinking sissy tools like that :/ .

If I were to be starting again I would embrace the new methods of the time and go for the Pro Press type of connections.
    I don't even have any pex tools or materials. First crimps I made were made on my own replacement infloor heating manifold, that was with a borrowed tool.

I plan to continue working until I run out of grandkids for helpers. They are all determined to be collage grads, so I will help prepare them to work the trades after they graduate with a BA. This may keep them out of the fast food industry. ;)
    j a_2