Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

17 year old hot water tank

Options
boosh
boosh Member Posts: 1
I have a burnham 204pvpi.t2 lp gas fired boiler with a separate lp gas fired 75 gallon water tank both installed new in 7/1999. I feel the hot water tank is at the end of its lifespan and am researching options to replace. Requesting input for options...Indirect? Another gas? Electric? Tankless? I am leaning towards indirect due to potential lp gas savings. Will the boiler I have handle indirect? Should I be concerned with lp gas usage over summer months? I have read about systems online where you can switch to electric during the summer...is this feasible? Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    What are you paying for LPG and electricity?
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,258
    Options
    Indirect does not save fuel.
    kcoppdelta T
  • Firecontrol933
    Firecontrol933 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    The one advantage to the indirect off your boiler is that you can get an indirect with a lifetime warranty. No savings really. Will your current boiler handle it? Depends on a lot of variables that weren't listed, but in most cases the answer is yes. It used to be that pricing was a big factor between an indirect and a direct fired gas water heater, not so much anymore.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    If the old water heater is a standard atmospheric, the indirect will save a fair bit of fuel.
    delta T
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    It all depends on how much hot water you use, if you use a lot the indirect will do a better job - if you don't, it won't make much of a difference. You might be surprised how long some tank hot water heaters last especially if you change the anode rad every 3-4 years.

For the last 8 years my 40 gallon gas HWH uses 4-6 therms a month in the non heating months, it's just me so my hot water needs are light. My customer charge is higher than the gas I use for hot water so explain how long it would take for an indirect to make me whole. They do cost significantly more than a tank HWH by the time all is said and done.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge