Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should galvanized pipe be removed from system?

adamfre
adamfre Member Posts: 122
Good evening all,
I have galvanized pipe and fittings scattered here and there in my system. I will be doing a lot of pipe replacement in the next few months due to rust, should I take the opportunity to also replace the galvanized pipe and fittings as I come across them?
Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    This is a steam system? Where is the galvanized? Mains, runouts, returns? And what pipes are being changed out due to rust?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • adamfre
    adamfre Member Posts: 122
    Yes, its a steam system. Galvanized is on both the steam and return sides, also some runouts. Pipes being changed out returns (wet).
    Just want to stay warm in the winter. :D
  • Jamie Hall
    Well, galvanized has a way of getting remarkably cruddy inside, particularly when it is kept wet. So... I'd probably replace all the returns. Anything below the water line of the boiler can be copper, if you like; anything above, threaded black iron, please. As to the mains and runouts -- they may not be too bad. If they are easy enough to replace I'd probably do it -- again, black iron. If not... Whatever you do, make sure that you use the same nominal pipe size or larger, and be absolutely sure that you get all the pitches correct.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    adamfreGreenGene
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588

Well, galvanized has a way of getting remarkably cruddy inside, particularly when it is kept wet. So... I'd probably replace all the returns. Anything below the water line of the boiler can be copper, if you like; anything above, threaded black iron, please. As to the mains and runouts -- they may not be too bad. If they are easy enough to replace I'd probably do it -- again, black iron. If not... Whatever you do, make sure that you use the same nominal pipe size or larger, and be absolutely sure that you get all the pitches correct.

Jamie,

Galvanized get's more cruddy inside than black iron when kept wet?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    ChrisJ said:

Jamie,

Galvanized get's more cruddy inside than black iron when kept wet?
    Let's just say... differently. But in my opinion it does, and I think that it is because it is steel, which rusts much more quickly than black iron, and if there are holes in the galvanizing it will concentrate the effect. But I could be wrong...
    Br. Jamie, osb