Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flue liner question

Double D
Double D Member Posts: 442
Is there a problem using an aluminum liner in a tile lined masonry chimney to vent a gas water heater only? The chimney used to vent an oil furnace and gas water heater. The homeowner was told the liner would need to be stainless due to the fact oil residue will deteriorate the aluminum liner.

Comments

• GreenGene
    GreenGene Member Posts: 290
    I would check with the building inspector, he'll probably say if the chimney is cleaned it's ok.

If it's got a lot of residue and can't be cleaned, yeah, aluminum isn't as tough or resilient as S/S, do it once.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    What does the manufacturer of the liner say?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GreenGene
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What code are you under? IMC, UMC, NFPA 54, and IFGC all say pretty much the same thing: B-vent or better, or a listed liner installed according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    GreenGene
  • GreenGene
    GreenGene Member Posts: 290
    Yeah, that was going to be my follow up, most state the warranty is void if the chimney wasn't cleaned first.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    There's an exception for masonry lined chimneys -- if they were built right and are still right. It's pretty rare around here to find that in the field.
  • Double D
    @GreenGene The chimney is clean with only discoloration on the tile.
    @ChrisJ Nothing in the instruction for the liner. I suppose I could contact the manufacturer and ask.
    @SWEI inspector is only asking for the listed liner to be installed as per manufacturers instructions.
    Thank you all for your input.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Double D said:

@GreenGene The chimney is clean with only discoloration on the tile.
    @ChrisJ Nothing in the instruction for the liner. I suppose I could contact the manufacturer and ask.
    @SWEI inspector is only asking for the listed liner to be installed as per manufacturers instructions.
    Thank you all for your input.

I would contact the manufacturer.
    I learned that after watching my chimney guy call whoever they bought liners from and ask questions.

Once you have their approval, you would need to make sure it's ok with local codes.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    I would be definitely looking at the age of the hot water heater and replace it with a direct Vent PVC out the side wall instead of doing a liner if at all possible. It may work out to be better in the long run instead of paying for a liner and installation.
    Double DPaul S_3SWEI4Johnpipe
  • Double D
    Good idea. From what I remember, it is an old one. I will run this by the homeowner.