Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat exchanger tool

Dave19
Dave19 Member Posts: 28
Have been running into more and more plugged condensing boilers due to lack of service. I know Viessmann makes a tool specifically for scraping the junk out of the coil but locating one is impossible. Anybody have anything they like to use for this type of situation? I probably shouldn't keep using credit cards. Thanks

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    credit card isn't bad. Its plastic and generally wont damage it... Dave Ramsey probably thinks that is the best use of a Credit card.
    What models are you finding that are plugged?
    HillyAaron_in_MaineSolid_Fuel_Man
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    In the electronics industry we use a lot of printed circuit cards, the good ones are built on a fiberglass board that is from 0.03 to 0.06" thick and tough as nails. If you can find a plastics supplier in your area they should have what you want. If not you can order it from McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10-garolite-sheets/=11ye2yu

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    EzzyT
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I modify the credit cards with a notcher to produce saw "teeth" in it which seems to really help. (And they are free)
    Charlie from wmass
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    I thought I came across a Lochinvar cleaning kit for the gionni hx boilers. It looked like it had some kind of flexible rod in it
  • Dave19
    The last couple were Burnham Alpines. Thanks for the ideas guys.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Are the boilers that are plugged are the natural gas or LP gas models.

That is why I like the fire Tube heat exchanger design boilers.
  • Dave19
    LP. But in fairness they were completely neglected by the owners. Not knocking the boiler itself
    Charlie from wmass
  • JUGHNE
    Are we talking the coffee grounds?
  • Dave19
    Yes, the coffee grounds. What are those anyway, anybody know?
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I see those in a lot of Gianonni HX. Its a byproduct of the LP gas.
  • JUGHNE
    I have a 2003 Munchkin 199,000 on NG that needs "grounds" cleaned out at a minimum of every 2 years.....exhaust and intake are maybe 5' apart.

Also a NG Lochinvar Knight full of grounds after 1 season. Exhaust & intake 4' apart.

Grounds are able to be picked up by a magnet.
    Where does that come from in a stainless steel coil?

I don't believe it is only a LP issue.
    I do see why many are going to fire tube rather than water tube. If one thinks about condensing gas furnaces, they are all fire tube and seldom need attention on NG. They just about never get cleaned......... if they need it or not! ;) That is to say they seldom present a problem that I have seen and do not get opened up. I have some 90+ furnaces installed in the 90's and they so not kick off on pressure switches. I think the condensate draining is cleaning the small tubes.
  • Captain
    Captain Member Posts: 30
    Combustion side HX cleaner for condensing boiler made from SS or Aluminum. CLEAN F9A & F9B

http://axiomind.sasktelwebhosting.com/boiler-cleaner.php
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Axiom has a lot of credibility here. Have you actually used these?
  • Captain
    Captain Member Posts: 30
    Sorry for the poor pictures. But this is my friends Buderus GB142 I cleaned. If used on aluminum there are two solutions that need to be sprayed on separately. Clean F9A, rinse with water, Clean F9B then rinse again.

• meffaman
    meffaman Member Posts: 1
    Do you know where I can buy Axiom F9A & F9B? I'm in MA. I contacted RST Thermal in Westwood, they're listed on Axiom's site, but nobody's in the office today and I'm looking to clean a GB142 this weekend. Thanks in advance!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Use mineral oil as per Buderus maintenance instructions.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Mineral oil as @Ironman mentioned is what I have herd. I think drug stores have it