Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One or two draft regulators?

bruce_21
bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
I went to a job where there are two oil burners (a bock HWH and a furnace) going into one chimney thru a tee in the breeching. Does both these burners need a draft regulator?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited April 2016
    If both appliance call for a regulator then yes, and maybe one after the tee.
    Best would be to check draft cold at chimney base and before each regulator, then check as each one fires, and both firing.
    steve
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    From the Field Controls Contractor Reference Guide

Mark EathertonChrisJMike
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Are there conditions where you'd use multiple regulators?
    Say one for each appliance, plus a third on the flue? Or would you double up at each appliance?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I had a 22 story tall building with an 3.5 mil atmospheric boiler that not only required dual barometric dampers, but it also required me t install a restrictive orifice in the flue breaching of the boiler to slow the flow of flue gas down and give it a chance to exchange energy. Dropped the buildings fuel consumption by 40% just with that one effort alone. Dropped it an additional 30% when we base loaded the system and DHW loads with three 199 modcons. So, yes, there are situations where numerous dampers are required.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    SWEI
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    Thanks for the help!