Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett Flame Retention Head

Options
ppllgg
ppllgg Member Posts: 69
I have a Burnham V-18 series (Dry Base) Boiler w/ Beckett AF burner
It has a F-6 head that I'm going to replace, I've read that with (Dry Base sys.'s) the head should have a (opional) heat shield. (It looks like a ring in my old manual that seems to be a separate part) Because what I have presently is a one piece F-6 head (stamping). It's been there over 10 yr.'s ( It doesn't show any sign of heat damage, it's just old. Are those heat shields still used & do I really need one ?? I've tried to search for one without success.
Frank

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    It's been a while but if there was space in the chamber hole, I'd use them. Lynn products, amulet ring or some such. You want to make sure the corresponding oil drip hole lines up with the F6 hole, on bottom.

Thermopride still uses them, they are more like a sleeve.
    ppllgg
  • ppllgg
    Options
    THANKS BOB !! :) I'm Wait'n on the Lynn Chamber replacement kit, I got the old one out & it's cleaned NICE. I also ordered their " head protector. #1030. I won't know my wall clearances until I get that Chamb. kit in. ( might not need the xtra head protector, but I order it just in case its needed.
    Bob Bona_4
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    The head protector was used on brick chambers to protect from the higher chamber temperature. Not needed with non-brick type chambers.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Not higher temps, just longer residual heat that could stress out the air tube/heads
    ppllgg
  • ppllgg
    Options
    I appreciate your Knowledge & Help Bob Bona. :smile:
    Thanks,
    Frank
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    If you are looking for longevity, consider a post purge for 2 minutes. You will need a clean-cut pump or solenoid oil valve on high pressure line and a newer primary control like the Beckett Genisys or Honeywell R7284. I have several new boilers with this setup and for the last 3 years I have returned to do maintenance and I'm almost afraid to change any adjustments... they look like the day I installed them. Nozzle, Electrodes, Burner head, NO CARBON BUILDUP ANYWHERE!!!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Robert O'Brien
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options

If you are looking for longevity, consider a post purge for 2 minutes. You will need a clean-cut pump or solenoid oil valve on high pressure line and a newer primary control like the Beckett Genisys or Honeywell R7284. I have several new boilers with this setup and for the last 3 years I have returned to do maintenance and I'm almost afraid to change any adjustments... they look like the day I installed them. Nozzle, Electrodes, Burner head, NO CARBON BUILDUP ANYWHERE!!!

Ed is absolutely correct, I find that 15 seconds does almost as well.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DickC
    DickC Member Posts: 15
    Options
    My recollection is the V-1 Series of boilers were not dry base units but wet base boilers. They originated when Burnham purchased American Standard which made this boiler before it was renamed, I can't recall the A/S model #. The V-1 Series had a narrow opening on the diagonal in the front section for access to combustion area and usually had a target wall and blanket on the chamber floor. The earlier target walls were dry and had to be cut to install, the wet pack version made it easy. Not sure how you are going to get to the rear wall in an 8 section boiler. I don't recall Burnham making a dry base cast iron boiler. A/S did and they often had their hanging burner on it, boiler cleaned from the front. In a chimney application with a good draft I can see no reason to post purge more than 30 seconds.
  • ppllgg
    Options
    HAY GUYS, Can I get some HELP here in identifying my boiler ?... I found this Info. behind that inspect panel loc. at the Front/Top of of boiler. (Burnham Boiler- Mod. # WV 18 - 9A S/N 8899035 ), My problem is I order a Comb. Chamber kit for a Burham V-18 series boiler, & it doesn't seem to match up w/what I got here ! (Lynn - Comb. Chamb. kit # 1064 say's it's for a Burnham V - 18 series boiler. My Combustion Chamber is a perfect Cube. (18"X18"X18") Can I just line the (5) surfaces with Kaowool Board ??.. & If so, What thickness would you recommend? ...1/2", 3/4",1", 11/2"or the 2" K- Board ?? I'm Hoping to Get this together Sooon & Running !! ANY & ALL TIPS & HELP w/this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!
    FRANK
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Looks like a Burnham RS series. Dry base
    ppllgg
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Yea definately an RS
    ppllgg
  • Marz