Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitocel-B 300 and wood heat

Marinko
Marinko Member Posts: 10
I am considering pairing a Viessmann Vitodens 200-W B2HB 35, with a Vitocel-B 300 79 gallon indirect heater. The Vitocel-B 300 is designed to work with a solar hot water system. Is it possible to substitute a wood fired heating source, for solar? I would like to install a soapstone masonry heater with a hot water heat exchanger. Will the Vitocell-B 300 Work for this application?

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    There are just a top and bottom coil in the indirect. You can use any heat source to produce energy to move across the coils.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
    Marinko
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Sure, with a dual coil tank solar or wood in the bottom, boiler input to the top coil.

Be careful with HX in a fire like that, they can be hard to control and prevent over-heating and flashing to steam. Be certain to have appropriate safety relief valves and over-heat protection options.

You will often have more heat energy from the fire, than the tank can absorb. A thermostatic mixing device on the tank is a must also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Marinko
  • Marinko
    This is good news. I also assume that it's possible to configure the system so that DHW is heated with wood in winter, and solar in summer. Is that correct?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Marinko said:

This is good news. I also assume that it's possible to configure the system so that DHW is heated with wood in winter, and solar in summer. Is that correct?

Sure almost anything is possible with hydronics. It's just water and pipes.

Depending on where you live, solar is quite possible in winter months and may be less hassle, and safer than a wood stove setup.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I'd take this a different route. Instead of using a Dual Coil Tank, I'd use a Viessmann Divicon HX then dump Wood Boiler Energy into the entire heating system and just use a regular indirect piped downstream of the Low Loss Header. All could be controlled through the boilers controller. Simplistic and the best use of the full capability of the Wood Boiler.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
    IronmanSWEIMarinko
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Chris said:

I'd take this a different route. Instead of using a Dual Coil Tank, I'd use a Viessmann Divicon HX then dump Wood Boiler Energy into the entire heating system and just use a regular indirect piped downstream of the Low Loss Header. All could be controlled through the boilers controller. Simplistic and the best use of the full capability of the Wood Boiler.

That would also provide a dump to prevent overheating in the wood stove. A lot more mass with it connected to the entire system.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Marinko
    Chris and Bob,
    Thank you for the great advice. I will talk with my installer about that.