Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

THE RIGHT WIFI THERMOSTAT

Options
I need a reliable Wi-Fi thermostat that will work with a 24 volt steam system with an automatic feeder. please tell me if you have one that worked for a whole season, I would like to buy it

Comments

• Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    A simple wifi that I like to use is the Honeywell 6000 its programmable but a bit more simple then the higher end models.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Remember that many WiFi stats require a common. If you just have 2 wires to your old one, that could limit you.
    SeanBeans
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Whatever you get, I recommend you get one with an internal web server not the kind (like the Nest as well as the Honeywell 6000) that require you to log on to a manufacturer's or 3rd party website to program the thermostat, change thermostat settings or get reports on the thermostat's operations. Otherwise you risk getting locked out of your own thermostat if the company goes out of business (or, more likely, starts charging you a monthly fee to access your own data).
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,704
    Options
    Wellness said:

Whatever you get, I recommend you get one with an internal web server not the kind (like the Nest as well as the Honeywell 6000) that require you to log on to a manufacturer's or 3rd party website to program the thermostat, change thermostat settings or get reports on the thermostat's operations. Otherwise you risk getting locked out of your own thermostat if the company goes out of business (or, more likely, starts charging you a monthly fee to access your own data).

Which ones have an internal web server?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2016
    Options
    To be fair, most WIFI t-stats use a hosted site instead of a local web server because of ease of setup. It's easier for non-technically inclined consumers to whip out their cellphone and input a password to access their thermostat than it is to ask a consumer to fiddle with IP addresses and other arcane stuff. However, this convenience comes at the expense of flexibility, privacy and long term security. If your tstat has a local web server, then as long as your home network is OK, you don't need internet access to access your thermostat.