Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two pressuretrols

MissB
MissB Member Posts: 39
Hi ... I am currently reading The Lost Art of Steam Heat. When I went to look at tge pressure on my Utica Boiler, I discovered two pressuretrols. Since my boiler is short cycling, I am thinking the pressure is incorrect. I have read two pressuretrols is for safety. I tried attaching a photo, but can't seem to get that to work. Anyway, the one on the right is set to the very top (9] and the one on the left is set at about 2. They are both wired in and they are both Honeywell. Should I lower these settings? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• MissB
    Wait maybe this is working!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited February 2016
    The one on the left is a backup safety, it can be left alone. The one on the right is the operational pressuretrol and should be turned down to shut the boiler down and 1.5PSI and start back up at 0.5 PSI.

Doing that may make the short cycling worse but it will save fuel. We have to figure out why it's getting to pressure so fast. Is the boiler much to big for the load it's driving?

Is this single pipe steam?

Isn't there enough main venting?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • MissB
    Hi Bob!
    I don't know if it is too big. My house is only 1300 square feet. I have one large old fashioned radiator on the second floor that is turned off most of the time and four slant fin style radiators on the first floor. The radiator furthest from the boiler(the bathroom) rarely if ever heats up. I just changed two leaking vent valves and that has improved both the sound (soooooooo loud steam shooting out) and the leaking problem. I looked for a main vent in the basement but could not find one.
  • MissB
    and yes it is single pipe
  • MissB
    Attaching photos
  • MissB
  • MissB
    Last one ... sight glass is leaking but that is getting fixed this week
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    That boiler is piped wrong and will cause problems but mid February is no time to play with that.

Are the slant fin radiators you speak of baseboards? Post a picture of one and show the kind of vent it has on it.

Having the last radiator not heat is a classic symptom of inadequate main venting. See if there is anyplace a main vent could be attached after the last radiator takeoff. How long is the steam main?

Adjust the screw on that low pressure pressuretrol down to 0.5 PSI and then take the front cover off and adjust the white wheel inside to 1PSI. That should let the boiler run between 1.5 and 0.5 PSI. If your having that gauge glass fixed ask them to make sure the pigtail under the pressuretrol isn't clogged up.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    FredMissB
  • MissB
    This is the slant fin. The valve is a hoffman valve. As you see there is now a hole in the drywall from the leaking previous valve. I do notice the short cycling improves when I open the upstairs radiator.
  • MissB
    Also can you tell me more about how the piping is wrong?
  • MissB
    @BobC I am not sure which of tgese is the main so I can measure it for you.
  • MissB
    @BobC today it is warmer in R.I. so I am going to adjust the pressuretrol like you said. Do I have to turn the power off before doing this? I can't find info online ...
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    no need to turn the power off -- you need to turn the adjusting screw on top, and also take the cover off to look at the white dial inside. Just don't grab wires!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • MissB
    Ok ty btw does the pressure gauge have to read zero before I do this?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    MissB said:

Ok ty btw does the pressure gauge have to read zero before I do this?

No, But if you feel more comfortable making that adjustment when the boiler is not in a heating cycle, wait till the boiler stops running. Sometimes those gauges don't settle back to zero. They can be calibrated but don't worry about that now.
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Is it just me or this boiler looks carbonized?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Fred
    Paul S said:

Is it just me or this boiler looks carbonized?

I'm sure your eyes are way better than mine but from what I see, this boiler hasn't had any maintenance in a long time and would be well served with a good going over.
  • MissB
    I bought a new gauge. What does carbonized mean? It has not had service in years. My ex was a plumber and said to not mess with it.
  • MissB
    Ok I just googled and I can tell you that I have a working co2 detector above it that isn't going off and the flames burn orange not blue.
  • Fred
    Not sure why your Ex would have said not to mess with it. Every boiler needs maintenance and cleaning to get optimum performance and longevity. Please consider having a steam Pro look at it and at least advise you what should be done. You don't want to be in the dead of winter and not have heat whent could have been avoided.
    MissB
  • MissB
    I am guessing because he wasn't such a great plumber? This week I am changing the sight glass, the pigtail, and pressure gauge... since I have been reading The Lost Art of Steam Heat I know sooooo much more than anything he ever told me. Oh and I am gonna djust the pressuretrol.