Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

007 circulator pump question.

oreo123
oreo123 Member Posts: 48
When they get older do they slow down? ( I know I slow down as I get older but that is for a whole different board.) I have a boiler with 2 zones, one is to an indirect. Second zone I suspect is not getting enough water through it for baseboard loops. Boiler is in basement and the loops are on the second floor. Pump is ~ 14 years old. I can hear it twirling with a screwdriver to my ear. Its pumping away. I suspect either the pump or the flow check. I do not hear any rushing ocean sound in the baseboard loops so I am guessing that there is not much if any air in there.

In the 20 years with this apartment never had any call about low heat so I am guessing there is enough slant fin (will add up the linear feet tomorrow, get btus, and figure room heat load). Boiler cycles on and off at high limit. Priority is to stainless indirect.

This is in Boston area, its very cold past 24 hours. Everyone is running in circles with freezeups.

Comments

• oreo123
    oreo123 Member Posts: 48
    thanks. I have the infrared hand held gun. and I have a pipe thermocouple & meter.

The more I think about this I suspect the flow check. The boiler next door I had an issue where a flow check was open and heat was going into that apartment when it was making domestic hot water in the summer. Upon opening it up I found a piece of cardboard that was left in there by the installers. It wedged it open.