Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas fireplaces w/powerpile systems

Options
zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
We have a customer with a heat and glo gas insert fireplace.It has a 750 mv powerpile system, and is remote control operated.The system is reading 600 mv at the gas control, and works fine when the receiver is placed in the on position.It will not work in the remote position, and I am assuming the the remote and or receiver are defective.My question is if any one knows if the mv reading on these fireplaces with remotes has to be higher to operate with the remote, then when it is switched to the on position on the receiver.In other words can they operate manually with a lower mv readings,and require a higher mv reading to operate with the remote.thanks to all

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    The output of a generator is typically only 750 millivolts. I have had a few that put out 800. I would think perhaps the remote is battery operated???
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    This sounds like a typical battery powered remote. Sometimes they need to be reset to talk to one another. Take a paperclip and press it into the tiny hole in the receiver for a few seconds. When you hear it beep, press the remote and it should chirp and be reset. If this doesn't do it, replace the remote. The mv are the same when these battery remotes are plugged in. At 600mv, the pilot flame is probably a little too high and should be turned down until you have about 500-550 mv open circuit. Under load the closed circuit should read at least 250mv to about 325mv. Measuring TP to TH closed should be less than 100 mv. You should have less than about one Ohm on the switch leg regardless whether remote or wall switch. What is the date code after the serial number?
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Options
    Thanks for the response.The battery is good in the remote the homeowner replaced it with a new one while I was there.The remote and receiver are both 17 years old so I think it is just wore out and needs to be replaced.thanks to all, and take care