Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sad News

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    That's a shame, he was a sharp and passionate fellow.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    David Sutton_6
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I remember him well, we had a good talk at Wetstock 1. Always liked reading his stuff. Sad.
    David Sutton_6
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I remember Ken from the early days of the Wall. Like HR said, very passionate.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    He did it his way. God speed.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    He and I had many very interesting discussions on everything. He was never one to choose political correctness. He loved to talk to me about Jesus and my Born Again experience, not that he and always agreed but he was very curious about spiritual matters. I loved the guy and enjoyed be in his company.
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Ken was a great guy, and about the only other jazz fan in the heating world, too. Right now, he's probably listening to Charlie Parker, live! Godspeed, Ken.
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    RIP Mr. Secor I enjoyed your lively debates here and on OTT.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    I knew Ken fairly well. Great guy!
    He will be missed.
    RIP

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    BillW said:

Ken was a great guy, and about the only other jazz fan in the heating world, too.

Though I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I am a jazz fan.
  • Tinman
    Miles is still the "most played" artist on my 9 year old ipod.
    Steve Minnich
    SWEI
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    edited January 2016
    BillW said:

Ken was a great guy, and about the only other jazz fan in the heating world, too. Right now, he's probably listening to Charlie Parker, live! Godspeed, Ken.

SWEI said:

Though I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I am a jazz fan.

Miles is still the "most played" artist on my 9 year old ipod.

I'm just a homeowner (not "in the heating world"), but add me to the list of jazz fans here. I never met Ken either. However, we did exchange email messages about his condensing oil boiler when he built the home in Vermont. Subsequently, we "talked" about different jazz one could find on the Internet. He was certainly opinionated on the Wall, but very pleasant in these one-to-one exchanges. Condolences to his family.
    Bob Bona_4Robert O'Brien
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Ken and I spoke at a handful of events, most notably the couple of "Big Ugly New York" get-togethers, which I miss by the way.
    He was an extremely knowledgeable and personable guy and I learned from him. That's a good way to touch someone's life.
    RIP, Ken.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Bob Bona_4Robert O'BrienSWEI
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Ken was full of info and not afraid to share it ,He was one of the early members. RIP
    Bob Bona_4
  • Tinman
    edited January 2016
    Spinning one for Ken.
    Steve Minnich
    SWEI
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    I got to know Ken during the early days of the Wall when he and Mr Pex used to battle over Copper vs Pex. I got to meet him at all the Wetstocks on the East Coast then a couple other times at small gatherings. He was very different off the internet and a great guy.
    Robert O'Brien
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    Dad started his heating business from scratch in 1976 when he lost his job and decided it was time to “try something new.” At the time he had a stay at home wife (Mom later became a full time registered nurse), four young boys and a pretty good size mortgage. While most of us would not dream of taking that kind of risk under those circumstances, Dad was known for thinking outside the box. Somehow the business survived (we ate a lot of store brand macaroni and cheese in the beginning, I still cringe when I see it) and eventually became a well-respected company in the area. I will never forget Dad’s first work car, a green Ford station wagon full of tools and parts with the leaf springs ready to collapse due to all the weight, thank god Dad never needed to stop in a hurry!
    Ken/Dad was known for ruffling feathers on occasion, but often was misunderstood (especially on this website). I cannot apologize for him, but will say I’m sorry for those that were offending by his writing. He often told it like he saw it and sometimes forgot that with the internet this kind of thinking will likely hurt someone’s feelings. I can say that Dad would and often did help anyone out if they asked. It could have been a problem with their heating system, their car, financial troubles, or just about anything mechanical. There really weren’t too many things mechanical that Ken could not fix. When I first started working for Dad in the 1980’s he would bust out the soldering gun regularly when repairing fifty year old General Electric boilers. I would pass comments like; “Dad why not just buy a new part and install it instead of fixing this old crap?” He would respond with, “Because they haven’t made this particular part in thirty years and this elderly widow does not have thousands of dollars for a new boiler.” At that moment I finally started to understand my father. I later learned this particular customer’s husband (deceased when I was there) asked my father to do whatever it takes to keep the heat going for his aging wife. I also learned that Dad never charged her and a few other customers that were barely getting by.
    Jumping forward to 2006 when Mom and Dad retired after building there new house and moved to Vermont. Dad spent more time doing the things he wanted to do and less time doing the things he had to do. They traveled, spent more time with the grandchildren doing things with them that they will likely never forget. My phone has been ringing often since Dad passed, I am constantly reminded how many people he touched over the years. Mom and the entire family are certainly sad to see him go and we will all miss him immensely. I will do my best to fill Dad/Ken’s shoes but I must admit “His Shoes are pretty darn big.”

Thank you for all the caring comments, I will share them with Mom and the rest of the family this weekend when we're all together.
    SWEIRobert O'BrienTinman
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    One more thing about Dad with regard to Jazz. A year ago my daughter (college freshman at the time) needed to go to see a professional musician perform for a class. Naturally we went to Ken's favorite place, the Village Vanguard in NYC. When we sat down at the twelve inch diameter table, my daughter realized it was not the same without Pop (as my kids called Ken). I suspect many things will not be the same in the future without Pop/Dad/Ken/Zeke....
  • What a great guy he was. I remember him from the early days of The Wall.
    He will be missed.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I didn't know him but it speaks volumes that his son/family understood him and want to emulate the person he IS. My condolences. Just remember, he will be at every turn in your life. You are everything he taught you. His legacy.
    Robert O'Brien
  • Leo_G
    Leo_G Member Posts: 89
    Wow. What a shock. I never met Mr. Secord personally, but his epic poems about pex and shopping carts, burning in the river will be with me forever.

To his family I send my prayers and love, and to let you know, that your father, grandpa, husband touched a lot of souls on his too short a journey on this earth.

Robert O'Brien
  • I wouldn't call it a short journey; medium, yes even though I'm not there yet and consider myself old.
    Most importantly, Ken has entered the ranks of the Dead Men. And maybe he was more influential and outspoken than other Dead Men since he was a great contractor and a great debater on all things hydronic and would always be willing to share information. In 2000, he shared some contract legal wording with me about customers who want to provide their own materials.
    His children probably remember him not coming home until late at night, filthy from working in someone's crawlspace. And when he was home, he was usually working in his office. The vacations were great when you got to be around him all day. I can say that with some certainty because that's how it was for me.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab