Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

zone valves struggles to open, slam's closing. (ALSO POSTED IN CONTROLS SECTION)

there are 2- v8043f 1036 honeywell zone valves on my hydronic heating system.
one is for house heating the other is for domestic hot water.
when in house heating mode only, system runs fine.

when domestic hot water zone runs alone no problem, no noise opening and very little noise closing zone valve.

when house heating zone is in operation and the storage tank calls for hot water, domestic hot water zone valve struggles to open, (short burst of vibration in piping) , because circulation pump is already running. when temperature is reached and house still needing heat (pump running), domestic hot water zone valve slams closed causing rattling in pipes.

a water hammer suppression tube is installed and has about 2 1/2 ft of air cushion, and is charged.

just replaced internal parts of zone valve, (ball, swing arm, o ring) , as well as the upper operating head,
the old ball was worn out and leaking through.

now to my question: what relay switch should i use making my house heating the primary zone and the domestic water my secondary zone, also if possible one with a 10 or 15 second delay

THANK YOU,
JIM
PS:MFG. AND PART NUMBER WILL BE HELPFUL
OR ANY OTHER IDEAS THAT MAY HELP NOISE PROBLEM

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Check your step down transformer output
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Installed with flow arrow in the correct direction? Did it ever work properly. What type of pump?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    rick in Alaska
  • James D. Arch
    James D. Arch Member Posts: 19
    hot rod,
    flow arrows correct, Armstrong series e 3 speed pump, set on 1 speed,,,, older system always made some noise.. first time internal parts replaced in 15 years old rubber ball was flattened
    still baffled here?????
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Which model ESeries? Some are high head models, may not be correct for your application. Struggling ZVs are sometimes over pumped ZVs
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • James D. Arch
    rod , replaced discontinued s 15 with e 15 was told it was a direct replacement at supply house, ran the s15 on high speed (5) running e 15 on low speed(1), comparable flow rates, 19 ft head ,,,,, i'm still leaning to putting in a primary/secondary switch,,with delay??? any insight on that???
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    How about some pics of the boiler, its near piping and the ZVs and circ?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • James D. Arch
    Hi Ironman,

i would if i could, no camera phone,only a flip phone,
    it takes me 20 min. or more to type this .

still looking for a relay switch, .
    keep in mind the noise is only when both are in operation, by switching to a , (time delay????) , relay switch with a primary and a secondary operation i feel this will solve my problem... as you probably guessed i am not a controls guy, but have 30 + years in plumbing and sewer construction and have installed only a few boiler systems, maybe 11, this one just happens to be mine
    any suggestion on a relay switch?????

thanks,
    Jim

• David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    a picture sure would go along way , but it sounds like your over pumping, for a relay try a taco zone control with priority
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    A Taco SR503-4. But, unless you understand control wiring, you'll probably have some difficulty. And, there's no time delay on the pump when the priority zone switches on, so I doubt if that would solve your problem. The SR503-EXP-4 has more capabilities, but IDK if it offers the delay either.

You've got a hydronic issue, not a control issue. The cause of the issue needs to be addressed instead of trying to compensate for it with controls. That's why we need some pics. Surely, one of your friends or family has a smart phone that could upload some pics.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.